Restore Wizard Home Server Not Found RRS feed

• Question

• After replacing a failed disk I booted the original Version 1.0 PC Restore CD from HP.

I tried copying the device driver folder to a USB drive as suggested (though the Wizard said it saw the gigabit network adapter without these).
    Everything I've tried still fails.  Restore Wizard cannot find the network

There is nothing wrong with the physical connection.  If I install a fresh copy of VISTA,  it sees the HomeServer.
    I've tried connecting the WHS directly to the machine, with and without the drivers.
    No luck
    My network is very simple.  Just a cable modem to a linksys router.  A couple of PC connected and the HP MediaSmart Server.  Everything is eithernet (not wireless).

ANY IDEAS on how I can get the archive back on to the machine that now contains a fresh copy of VISTA?  Is there an update for the PC Restore CD?  Is there a way to restore the OS from the Home Server Console?  Anything I can do to get the Restore Wizard to see the network?

thanks so much in advance for any help.

What a XMAS present WHS has given me!!!
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:39 PM

All replies

• The fact that the NIC is recognized doesn't mean the restore CD has appropriate drivers. At the screen where your NIC and harddisks are listed you should scan for drivers. The process is described in more detail in section 3c of this FAQ.

If this doesn't help please try a direct cable connection between your WHS and the client (No router or other devices inbetween)

Friday, December 25, 2009 12:12 AM
  • I tried to update the driver per your instructions,  and I'm not getting WHS to use them.
    The files from Realtek are in a folder DriversXP_5742\WinXP.  I copied the files into the root of the USB drive as well as copying while keeping the directories.  The Scan does not find any drivers for my machine.
    Should I copy them into a Windows Home Server Driver for restore folder that I can get from the backup?

thanks for your help!
    Friday, December 25, 2009 1:04 AM
  • I got the Realtek drivers to be read by the Restore Wizard.
    Both direct connect and through the router still cannot find WHS.
    I've tried just the Realtek drivers as well the archive drivers together.
    When I try 'Find my home server manually'  it says  ... A network error has occurred please verify your network is active (it is!!)
    Friday, December 25, 2009 1:34 AM
  • If you 64 bit Vista:

For the restore CD to work you need 32 bit NIC drivers. You should download appropriate drivers for you NIC from the RealTek site (If you have RealTek NIC), then follow instructions in FAQ step by step.

If you really can't get it to work you can also mount the drive(s) in another client PC which has WHS connector installed, then run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server
    Friday, December 25, 2009 1:45 AM