none
Synctoy install .msi that doesn't download anything? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi. I use Synctoy 2 at home and it's been very successful and useful so far (Thanks, really nice freebie!) I would also like to use it at work but there I'm behind a firewall and a proxy server. When the Synctoy install process gets to the point where it wants to download the SQL stuff it fails. Either it's not picking up my proxy settings from IE, or else it is picking them up but is then trying to get out in a way that doesn't pop up our proxy server's authentication prompt for me to fill in, and is getting silently denied. Either way, no download.

For lots of other Microsoft things you can locate corporate-rollout packages that don't require any downloads--they have everything they need already in the package. Exhibit A, Internet Explorer itself. Is there an equivalent no-download install package for Synctoy, and if so where should I be looking for it?

Apologies if this is in a FAQ that I overlooked. Thanks very much!

James P. H. Fuller MCSE

PACS administrator

Dept. of Radiology

Athens Regional Medical Center

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi James,

This is a really good suggestion and I appologize that you had issues.  I wonder if you could possibly work around this issue bu manually dowloading SQL Server Compact 3.1 and then try to install it again?  I believe this should allow you to skip the download process. 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=85E0C3CE-3FA1-453A-8CE9-AF6CA20946C3&displaylang=en

In any case, I am going to add this to the customer request log for a future version.

Also, if you don't mind, please also tell me if this manual download / install worked for you.

Liam

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:41 PM
  •  

Also, if you don't mind, please also tell me if this manual download / install worked for you.

Yes! Worked fine. Thanks very much for the suggestion

Jim

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:12 AM