Suggestion: Bandwidth Meter Plug-In RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

With all the major ISP's starting to place bandwidth caps on service (like Comcast, whom I use), and with them kindly not providing a tool to check your usage, people like me that stream a lot of HD media are at the least going to get very paranoid, and at the most, get in a bit of financial trouble with our cable bill.

I would love to see a plug-in for WHS that collectively watches all of the bandwidth on my home network computers, and pops up to tell me when I'm approaching my limit (which would be user-entered, as different companies have different caps).  I have searched for such a thing, and haven't found anything.  This is probably a given, but as my WHS box also runs a Torrent client, it would need to watch it's own usage, as well.

I really feel that this functionality would really help to move WHS units in this age of "we're not going to tell you how much you're using until you're using too much and then charge you an arm and a leg" internet access.

Thanks in advance for the consideration of all the fantastic developers out there!

Friday, August 29, 2008 4:05 PM

All replies

• I would say that you would want to monitor bandwidth usage at your router, not your server. This is something that I believe at least some routers can do already.

To monitor at your server, you would need something installed on each client PC which would monitor network traffic and update the server regularly. And since all network traffic looks pretty much the same until you start looking at it with a protocol analyser, that "something" would probably be pretty hefty to actually monitor in a useful fashion.

Still, if you feel that it's something which should be in Windows Home Server, you might want to consider posting a product suggestion on Connect.
    Friday, August 29, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Monitoring at the router does make more sense from an ease / centralized standpoint, but as you say, not all routers can do it, and I don't see a way to get a pop up off a router.  I'm thinking of something that every WHS user could use.

I don't know much about how network traffic is "built", but couldn't someone create a plugin on the server that taps into the WHS client on each PC that simply reports back the amount of data moved?

Now that I look at that, I think I may see what you're getting at... I was origionally thinking that it could report back on the amount of data transfered (just like double clicking on the network connection icon and seeing the Sent and Received numbers), but inter-network traffic would be added to that, giving an innacurate number.  Unless LAN and WAN traffic can be differentiated by the port it talks on?

Grrr... why can't everything be simple....

Friday, August 29, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Charlie, you might be interested in this article on SmallNetBuilder.com.
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 1:11 PM
  • FYI
    Felix Kollmann created a nifty Router Control Add-in to monitor router traffic via UPnP

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/09/19/add-in-router-control-v1007/

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:03 AM