WIN XP with no SP installed : 2 x 500Gb HDD in RAW !!! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me with this issue, no forum category matches my topic. 

So i re-installed the OS on my PC with an old Windows XP CD without integrated Service pack, the result of this is that 2 of my 500Gb HDD's are now in RAW mode and not accesible anymore, only option is to format but those are backup drives and almost full with data.

Each disk has now a 128Gb partition and a second one with the rest of the space, all RAW !! 

How the heck is this possible? I didn't gave any confirmation to change the partition, only explanation i see is that without SP windows is not able to recognise more than 128Gb, still this is not a reason to erase the MBR and modify the filesystem without warning.

I know that with "Ontrack" RAW recovery is possible but it should be the last resort.

Is there a way to recover from this problem in an elegant way?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:33 AM

All replies

• You already know this, but:

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx

Upgrading the OS to SP3 may be the solution to see the rest of the drives. If you installed XP to one of those 500 gig drives, it may have overwritten the partition table on that drive, so recovery of all of your data may be out of the question.

Another possible solution before writing anything else to those drives is to connect them to a machine that is already running XP SP2 or SP3 or Vista, to see if the partitions are intact and if you can copy the data off of them.

In any event, you'll be better served posting to the XP newsgroup linked above.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:07 PM