Issue while Azure Worker roles instances to Azure Node templates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a small hpc cluster 2008R2 on premise and I am now trying to extend Windows Azure Worker role nodes to the cluster. 

I can able to set up the Azure node template and create an azure node instance which goes to 'Not Deployed' state. Issue comes when I try to start the instance where the provsioning failes and says 'Unable to connect to the remote Server' 

I understand from MSDN that it needs outbound firewall on ports like 7998,7999,5901,5902,3389.

Since it is enterprise environment I cannot open firewall ports for all the endpoint destination ip addresses. Azure hosted service endpoints are available only when the Deployment is done .

Is there any way where I can fix the endpoints for the hosted service and raise firewalll only for those specific IP and make add/start the nodes operations happen through HPC Cluster Manager? Or can I use options like Azure Connect which can make this happen ?

Kindly assist.

Thanks & Regards

Aravindakumar.V

Monday, October 10, 2011 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Aravindakumar,

Can you first check if the subscription id in your azure node template is correct, you can validate it by double clicking the azure node template and then click "Validate connection information" button on the Node Template Editor.

And to successfully add azure worker nodes into a cluster, you should follow http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg481767(WS.10).aspx and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg481763(WS.10).aspx

Thanks,

Lucie 

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:37 AM
  • Hi Lucie,

Thanks for your reply.  I can able to perform "Validate connection information" and the results are green for all the parameters.

Issue comes only when I try to start a instance which is in Not Deployed State created for the azure node template.

In the provisioning log it says 'Time Message
    10/10/2011 6:21:06 PM Unable to connect to the remote server' . As i am on enterprise network i suspect some firewall restricting to proceed. I can request to open firewall ports for some ip's if known.

Thanks

Aravindakumar.V

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Hi Aravindakumar,

I think you can try "ping management.core.windows.net" to get the ip of management service which is for deployment purpose, and then you can get the hosted service endpoints after the deployment done.  Wish this helps.

Thanks,

Lucie

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:04 AM