Microsoft Sync Framework questions RRS feed

• Question

• These are general Sync Framework (i.e. non-ADO.NET) questions:

1. In creating a replica metastore, I see that it needs to use a CE 3.1 database (unless I write a custom metastore) -- are there plans to update this version shortly?

2. It appears that much of the framework is using interop -- will the RTM be fully on .Net or...?

3. Some classes (like SyncAgent) appear in different namespaces in sync for ADO.NET vs. the CTP.  Are there still significant changes to be made to the class structures?  If so, can you give any guidance?

Thanks!

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 9:33 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Monday, November 19, 2007 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It would be better if you can post these questions in the General forum instead of here.  Quick answers below:

1- The framework does not ship with CE bits that said you could install the version you want. If this is not the case, then please post the error you are getting and I will follow up with the experts in this area.

2- True, I don't think that will change in this release. What are you concerns regarding this?

3- There is only one SyncAgent in the framework. As for Sync Services for ADO.NET v1, which just shipped with VS 2008, it had to have its own agent but in the CTP1 release we converged into one agent type.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It would be better if you can post these questions in the General forum instead of here.  Quick answers below:

1- The framework does not ship with CE bits that said you could install the version you want. If this is not the case, then please post the error you are getting and I will follow up with the experts in this area.

2- True, I don't think that will change in this release. What are you concerns regarding this?

3- There is only one SyncAgent in the framework. As for Sync Services for ADO.NET v1, which just shipped with VS 2008, it had to have its own agent but in the CTP1 release we converged into one agent type.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:57 PM
  • To add to what Rafik said regarding #3, we are making some minor API changes in an effort to align Sync Services for ADO.NET with the Sync Framework.  The Sync Framework is data type and store agnostic and as such, it was important to remove any references to databases from the shared namespaces.  These changes are described in the online docs for CTP1.  We will continue to refine these changes in an effort to minimize all impact on our customers and only introduce those that are absolutely essential.

Friday, November 30, 2007 9:06 AM