Can't add a computer to back up? RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed an evaluation version of windows home server and I can't add a computer to back up, it's grayed out! What's up with that? Any clues?

edit: also, is there a reason for my computer to always freeze?
    • Edited by dmak02 Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:56 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:51 AM

Answers

• dmak02 said:

I am going through some various tasks, and trying to update the server on the server and it crashes. wait, am i suppose to go to the console on the server and try to add my computer from there?

No.  You need to install the Connector software on a client PC.  That will create the computer account on the server and set up the backups for it.

dmak02 said:

Because that is what I am doing... second, am I suppose to install connector software for my laptop so it can be backed up? If so, it won't allow me to because I have Vista Ultimate 64. What should I do?

If you have Power Pack 1 installed, you should be able to install the Connector software on your Vista x64.

• Edited by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:41 AM quoting error
    • Marked as answer by dmak02 Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:48 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:40 AM

All replies

• May need to uninstall and reinstall the WHS Connector

Freezing on what? Your server? Your client computer? What is it doing?
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:08 AM
  • I am going through some various tasks, and trying to update the server on the server and it crashes. wait, am i suppose to go to the console on the server and try to add my computer from there? Because that is what I am doing... second, am I suppose to install connector software for my laptop so it can be backed up? If so, it won't allow me to because I have Vista Ultimate 64. What should I do?
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:11 AM
  • dmak02 said:

I am going through some various tasks, and trying to update the server on the server and it crashes. wait, am i suppose to go to the console on the server and try to add my computer from there?

No.  You need to install the Connector software on a client PC.  That will create the computer account on the server and set up the backups for it.

dmak02 said:

Because that is what I am doing... second, am I suppose to install connector software for my laptop so it can be backed up? If so, it won't allow me to because I have Vista Ultimate 64. What should I do?

If you have Power Pack 1 installed, you should be able to install the Connector software on your Vista x64.

• Edited by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:41 AM quoting error
    • Marked as answer by dmak02 Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:48 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:40 AM