After power outage, what should happen? RRS feed

• Question

• After a power outage, is WHS supposed to reboot to maintain availability?  Or is this a matter of the hardware?

A very short outage brought down the server (and Vista clients); the clients rebooted, but WHS did not.

Nor did the systray indicator show red; only gray.

-- Gregg Keizer
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 7:26 PM

Answers

• What happens when power is restored usually depends on settings in your BIOS. My preference is for a computer that has lost power to stay off when power is restored; often your power is at it's dirtiest just after the power company switches it back on.

As for the system tray indicator, it showed gray because WHS wasn't running, i.e. it couldn't communicate with the server. "WHS is unavailable" isn't always the same as "WHS is sick." Consider a laptop you take out of the house...
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 8:31 PM

All replies

• What happens when power is restored usually depends on settings in your BIOS. My preference is for a computer that has lost power to stay off when power is restored; often your power is at it's dirtiest just after the power company switches it back on.

As for the system tray indicator, it showed gray because WHS wasn't running, i.e. it couldn't communicate with the server. "WHS is unavailable" isn't always the same as "WHS is sick." Consider a laptop you take out of the house...
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 8:31 PM
  • I've bought a UPS for mine to give it time to ride the occasional power hiccups - rare, but we had 4 within an hour the other night - and you don't want it to happen the one time you're away and really need something back home!
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:00 PM
  • Thanks for the info...it looks like an UPC is in my future.

-- Gregg
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:08 PM