Windows 8 Pro upgrade gets "This driver has been blocked from loading" attempting to restore files from Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Cross posting from Windows 8 forum

Upgraded Windows 7 Pro to Windows 8 Pro.   Windows Home Server 2011 connector was installed and working prior to upgrade.  Backups complete without an error indication but attempting to restore files using the Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard results in following messages displayed after choosing a backup to restore from (dies when the opening the volume operation gets to 4%):

The restore process did not succeed

This driver has been blocked from loading

I can successfully open the Windows 8's backup volume on a different Windows 7 machine from the Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard.

I found a thread (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whs2011/thread/1271f38b-3831-4e42-a376-85bd975ca8e0) talking about a driver filter altitude conflict between the windows home server restore driver and Rapport but I don't have Rapport installed and did not find duplicates from fltmc:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fltmc

Filter Name                     Num Instances    Altitude    Frame
    ------------------------------  -------------  ------------  -----
    SiFilter                                        429998.99   <Legacy>
    WdFilter                                7       328010         0
    luafv                                   1       135000         0
    npsvctrig                               1        46000         0
    FileInfo                                7        45000         0

I have not uninstalled/re-installed the Windows Home Server 2011 connector software yet because I have not found out whether that will cause loss of my previous backups (including Windows 7) that I do not want to lose at this point.

TIA for any help resolving this,

TimG

• Moved by James Xiong Friday, November 2, 2012 7:14 AM WHS Related (From:File Services and Storage)
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:23 PM

Answers

• Please try uninstalling and then reinstalling the connector.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:50 AM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:34 AM

All replies

• I'm having the EXACT same problem. Updated from Win 7 to Win 8 Pro. Can't restore files from WHS 2011 now. Get the same 'driver has been blocked ' error message. I can restore the files from another machine that is not Win 8. Any answers to this problem? It's obviously an issue since we are both having the exact same problem.

Thanks!

Jeff

• Edited by ViperACR Saturday, November 3, 2012 3:58 AM
    Saturday, November 3, 2012 3:56 AM
  • Please try uninstalling and then reinstalling the connector.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:50 AM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:34 AM
  • As another one having the same problem... I uninstalled the driver before upgrading to Win8 and then installed the driver after the install.  I have since uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it.  Still no workie!

John J. Hughes II

Sunday, December 30, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Just a thought but maybe this is related to Windows 8 being very strict about driver signatures. What if you disable driver signature enforcement temporarily?

Luc.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Thanks... seems the third time was a charm, working now...

John J. Hughes II

Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:26 PM