Why did One Care not recognize IM virus and stop it from going to all chat and email contacts RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have not been able to locate any informtation regarding a virus / worm that came through MSN IM; foto_{number}.JPEG-{Hotmail email address}.  Is it because it was a JPEG file?  This file came in a zipped package called j02mj.zip and created an executable in the system32 folder (lopcoenvwjsi.exe). 

Is more then One Care needed?  I am up to date on virus definitions.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• If a threat came to you via IM and OneCare did not prevent the infection and it is not removed by OneCare, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Thanks for the tip.  I did that before I posted this.  One Care still does not recognize it as a virus.  I am really disappointed.  I had to hook my computer up to a network with Norton to clean it

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 12:51 PM
  • Hi DBA,

In cases where users believe there is a threat that we don't propertly identify, we request they send a sample of the threat along with any description to:  https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/submit.aspx 

If you still have the file, we'd like to analyse it.

Thanks

-Eddy

Friday, February 8, 2008 5:05 PM
  • I'm running MS Forefront, which is what I'm required to use by my company on my work notebook.  I have the same problem, and Forefront does not recognize the foto file that keeps showing up in a zip file that originally came from Microsoft Live Messenger from a known person in my IM contact list.  Interestingly, the zip file (which shows up in my "Local Settings\Temp" folder) only shows up when I'm connected via a wireless wifi network, and not when I'm hard-wired connected at my company's office.  I'm thinking that my work's hard-wired network has some kind of firewall that prevents the zip file from coming through, but that doesn't help when I'm connected to a wifi network (such as at my home, with my own wifi network).  Anyway, there has to be something on the computer to make the downloading of the zip file occur when it has the opportunity.  I keep deleting the zip file from the Temp folder and immediately emptying the recycle bin, but I have to do that every time I boot up the system, because the zip file reappears.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 12:40 AM
  • Are you using Sharing Folders with anyone on your Messenger contact list? If so, it will automatically sync the files shared by your contacts.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 3:53 PM
  • my son got a virus thru msn messenger today from a friend who said he logged out, but the virus showed him as being as being busy still online when my sons friend said he was signed off msn and it came thru as that jpeg listed as  (dont remember first part)(jpegphoto________@live.com) how does he need to go about getting rid of this so it doesnt spread to his conatacts...apparently this is how otheres are getting it.....he's running his antivirus or does he need to uninstall the messenger program & reinstall it? sons e mail addy is intoeternity4@yahoo.com
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Patricia Love said:

my son got a virus thru msn messenger today from a friend who said he logged out, but the virus showed him as being as being busy still online when my sons friend said he was signed off msn and it came thru as that jpeg listed as  (dont remember first part)(jpegphoto________@live.com) how does he need to go about getting rid of this so it doesnt spread to his conatacts...apparently this is how otheres are getting it.....he's running his antivirus or does he need to uninstall the messenger program & reinstall it? sons e mail addy is intoeternity4@yahoo.com

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If  you are not using Windows Live OneCare, you are off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for viruses, spyware, or Windows Help. For help with spyware issues, you may want to try the forums here: 

http://aumha.net/ For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details. For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:20 PM