One care can't turn on firewall RRS feed

• Question

• I have an urgent message from One Care stating that it couldn't turn on the firewall.  I tried to go to help center to fix it and it was unable to fix the issue.  I went on-line to try to fix the problem and I couldn't.  It stated to search for the program under services, but it wasn't there.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try the Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

If this fails to work, please contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, May 8, 2008 1:31 AM
  • For reasons that are totally foreign to me but may be related to an Windows download just made a bit earlier NOW my OneCare Firewall WILL NOT TURN ON. It has always BEEN on. I've tried everything to get it back on. It won't go.

This has already cost me two hours going through the esoteric maze to find help. I wouldn't be writing you, whoever you are, if I hadn't tried everything at least once and often twice. None of the "fixits" that are out there have worked. I continue to waste my time...

I hope you can change that.

Please explain what I need to do OR, better yet, please call me at 310-827-1600. Ask to be "put through"

Thank you for your assistance. If you can't call me, give me a phone number at which I can get a real human being who can help. This has been a wild goose chase....

Thanx,

Edward Story

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Edward, I'm sorry that you are having problems with the OneCare firewall not turning on. If the firewall repair tool does not resolve it (link in the previous post above yours) then please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

You are posting to a community forum. I will be editing your post to remove your phone number.

-steve

Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:19 PM
  • I have a similar problem.  Additionally, if I try to update One Care manually I get an error stating that a critical update cannot be downloaded to my computer.  I have found this tool on the microsoft website that explains that a) it handles both problems, and b) it likely will have to be run twice to fix all of the problems involved.  The tool is designed for version 2.0.2500.10, I have 2.0.2500.30.  I ran it not twice, but three times with reboots in between, as suggested.  The problem still exists.  I have a trouble ticket in with support, but they seem to be dragging their feet.  I believe this is because I am currently a trial user.  I would like to use One Care, as it appears to consume less resources than my last solution, and thus the computer runs faster.  But I will not buy it if I can't get it working properly.  I believe this is a service conflict related issue.  I have tried to start the firewall service manually. It starts, then immediately stops.  I have also tried the rest of the suggestions in the FAQs.  Reinstalled multiple times.  None of it worked.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 3:35 AM
  • Monday, May 19, 2008 2:46 PM