Winlogon Notifiers Trogan and xxyYsSJB.dll RRS feed

• Question

• Something got past both my Live One Care and Spy Bot protection and installed a xxyYsSJB.dll into my Windows\system32\ directory.  Only warning I saw was something about a change to Winlogon Notifiers.

It interfired with both Live One Care and Spy Bot, and blocked access to any web site associated with them.

After many hours of searching finally found, bought and installed PC Tools Spyware Doctor which discovered and removed 11 different bugs, which also removed what was blocking my access to web sites such as this one.

Made sure Live One Care was uptodate, and have run a full scan.  Re-installed Spy Bot and did full scan with that also.  Neither found anything wrong, but that strange dll is still there, and had trouble getting things to work/display right such as net work connection icons in active tray, and my speaker control icon does not display in active tray, but speakers are working.

What happened to me?  What else should I be doing to make sure my system clean and secure?

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:11 PM

Answers

• I've moved your post to the anti-spyware topic folder.

If you are running Spybot's Tea Timer active protection, disable it as it may be conflicting with OneCare and resulting in less protection.

You should *not* have had to purchase another product to clean this infection and restore your PCs functionality.

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:17 PM