can we have multiple video

Question

• hello

can we have  multiple video collaboration by MOC or Live meeting without special hardware like MCU  ?!!?!?
    is there any way ?
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

for a conference (3 or more people), you woould need an MCU to be able to aggregate the media on OCS. By default OC ssends the active speaker. You dont need per say special hardware - within OCS R2, the MCU is software based.
    The Roundtable device however has the panaromic view which shows active speaker in a main window and I think 5 participants below.

Regards
    Anesh
    Anesh
    • Marked as answer by UCDEMO Tuesday, June 02, 2009 7:44 PM
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 7:48 AM
  • To answer your original question, no you cannot have more than 2 video streams in video conferencing.  Only the active and last speaker video steams are sent in multi-party conversations and users have the ability to select between each of those video streams as well as their own video.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 12:33 PM

All replies

• MCU = Multipoint Control Unit is a term used to refer to OCS server roles like A/V Conferencing and Web Conferencing that auto aggregates / mixes media like audio from several parties before sending them out again.
    http://www.leedesmond.com
    Friday, May 22, 2009 10:21 AM
  • thx alot  for your answer
    but how about my another question ?
    can we have multipoint video in ocs 2007 ? how ? ( i tried to establish a video conferance  with 3 person but every person only have 2 video , not 3 ) what's wrong with it ?
    Friday, May 22, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

for a conference (3 or more people), you woould need an MCU to be able to aggregate the media on OCS. By default OC ssends the active speaker. You dont need per say special hardware - within OCS R2, the MCU is software based.
    The Roundtable device however has the panaromic view which shows active speaker in a main window and I think 5 participants below.

Regards
    Anesh
    Anesh
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 7:48 AM
  • To answer your original question, no you cannot have more than 2 video streams in video conferencing.  Only the active and last speaker video steams are sent in multi-party conversations and users have the ability to select between each of those video streams as well as their own video.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Hi, I have a very similar question, perhaps I am even repeating the questions of the first user.

Bascially we have a potential client who want to use OCS 2007 R2 (they already have Enterprise licencing.)
    The decision hinges on a requirement of their managing director, who wishes to be able to sit in his office, and be able to see all the people participating in various offices on his own screen - most likely because he has seen it on 24 or whatever. Is this possible with OCS 2007 R2?
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Hi,
    This is possible, but not with OCS-only solutions. You would need to use something like a Tandberg video conferencing solution & integrate it with OCS. This PDF, on page 23, shows that type of integration. I'm pretty sure integration with Polycom will do the same.

But OCS on its own can't show simultaneous streams from multiple particpants.

Regards,
    Matt

Matt McGillen, PointBridge - https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/mcgillen_matt/default.aspx
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

Yeah, OCS and OCS R2 works well with Polycom and Tandberg. We have a deployment with R2 and Tandberg and the MCU that is Tandberg based which enables having 2 or more video streams.

Anesh
    Anesh
    Monday, August 24, 2009 7:54 AM