Installing video drivers in WHS for ATI HD3450 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home built WHS box that has had an ATI 9600 video card.  I had the correct drivers working with this card but I decided to replace this card, which had the regular PCI interface, with an ATI HD3450 that I had since I needed the PCI slot for a TV tuner card.   This box also runs SageTV and I wanted to loop the TV video output of the video card into the TV tuner so that I could send stuff like webcams, IP cams, etc. to any Sage extender on my system.

I plugged in the HD3450 card and removed that ATI 9600 card.  The new card is working OK, but it is using a generic VGA driver.  This doesn't allow me to use some of the more advanced features of the card, such as TV out, and the video card doesn't appear to go into sleep mode. 

I have tried installing the WinXP ATI drivers but when I run them it says that they can't find any hardware that works with the drivers.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

• Changed type kariya21Moderator Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:46 PM technical question
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:18 PM

Answers

• I was able to figure it out with info from this post http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/846fe1e1-cf06-42f0-ab0f-d85b6d11fa1a

Here is what I did for others who come across this problem.

Open up device manager and select your Video Adapter under display adapters (it will likely say Generic VGA adapter)
    Right Click and say update driver.
    Select install from a list or specific location.
    Click don't search - I will choose the driver to install.
    Point to the folder that has your adapter driver.  This may be tricky to find, for me it was on the \radeonxp\Install\Driver\XP_INF folder.

Now I am not sure that I can use all of the advanced features that I was hoping to use such as the TV output but the basic functionality seems to be working and I can use two display adapters so I know it is actually using the correct driver.

• Marked as answer by wayner9 Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:46 PM
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:45 PM

All replies

• I have a home built WHS box that has had an ATI 9600 video card.  I had the correct drivers working with this card but I decided to replace this card, which had the regular PCI interface, with an ATI HD3450 that I had since I needed the PCI slot for a TV tuner card.   This box also runs SageTV and I wanted to loop the TV video output of the video card into the TV tuner so that I could send stuff like webcams, IP cams, etc. to any Sage extender on my system.

I plugged in the HD3450 card and removed that ATI 9600 card.  The new card is working OK, but it is using a generic VGA driver.  This doesn't allow me to use some of the more advanced features of the card, such as TV out, and the video card doesn't appear to go into sleep mode. 

I have tried installing the WinXP ATI drivers but when I run them it says that they can't find any hardware that works with the drivers.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

The recommended (and supported) answer would be to forget using the video card in your server altogether (WHS isn't designed to be a workstation).  Having said that, if you can find Server 2003 drivers for it, you should use those (although I suspect they don't exist because, again, a high tech video card like that is not designed for a server OS).  And since the XP drivers don't work (which is the only viable alternative to Server 2003 drivers), I think you might need to let it go...
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:46 PM
  • I was able to figure it out with info from this post http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/846fe1e1-cf06-42f0-ab0f-d85b6d11fa1a

Here is what I did for others who come across this problem.

Open up device manager and select your Video Adapter under display adapters (it will likely say Generic VGA adapter)
    Right Click and say update driver.
    Select install from a list or specific location.
    Click don't search - I will choose the driver to install.
    Point to the folder that has your adapter driver.  This may be tricky to find, for me it was on the \radeonxp\Install\Driver\XP_INF folder.

Now I am not sure that I can use all of the advanced features that I was hoping to use such as the TV output but the basic functionality seems to be working and I can use two display adapters so I know it is actually using the correct driver.

• Marked as answer by wayner9 Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:46 PM
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:45 PM