Difficulty upgrading from pp3 evaluation version RRS feed

• Question

• A month ago I downloaded and installed the WHS PP3 eval.  I now want to install the real deal.  When I boot my system with the install disk I get to the point where I am to select a New install or Upgrade.  I can not select upgrade.  The only option in the drop down menu is the New Install.  I know if I pick this it will delete ALL the information on my system.

I have four internal drives and four external USB drives collectively with about 3.5TB of data so I really do not want to loose all of that.

I had done reasearch before everything said I would just need to put the install disk in for the retail copy and do an upgrade but now I can not. 

One the screen prior to the install selection I can see all my drives with Disk 3 having the system partition.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 11:26 PM

Answers

• Check the BIOS to see if there's a way to designate that SATA ports are to be booted first, before IDE ports.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:38 AM
  • I do not appear to be able to give higher preference to the SATA ports.  The system is an old Dell Dimension 4600.  I am wondering if I move all of the drives to another system that does not have Primary IDE if that will work.

I have access to a simularly old Dell Optiplex GX280 that has two SATA ports and two 'Secondary IDE' ports.  If I move all the drives and try to keep them assigned to the same bus, ie SATA 0 and SATA 1 and IDE Master/Slave and then reconnect the USB drives if I can do the upgrade that way?

Im thinking my only other option would be to do a clean install on a clean sysem disk and then connect each disk and manually copy the files over prior to adding the disk into the array.
    That's what I would do (and I would use an IDE drive for the system drive).
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:46 AM

All replies

• A month ago I downloaded and installed the WHS PP3 eval.  I now want to install the real deal.  When I boot my system with the install disk I get to the point where I am to select a New install or Upgrade.  I can not select upgrade.  The only option in the drop down menu is the New Install.  I know if I pick this it will delete ALL the information on my system.

I have four internal drives and four external USB drives collectively with about 3.5TB of data so I really do not want to loose all of that.

I had done reasearch before everything said I would just need to put the install disk in for the retail copy and do an upgrade but now I can not. 

One the screen prior to the install selection I can see all my drives with Disk 3 having the system partition.
    Try moving your primary drive (the one with the OS) to a different port so that it is the first drive seen by WHS (and which should then be listed as Disk 0) by connecting that drive to the first port on the motherboard.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  I do not think i can do this as I have a system with both SATA and IDE connections.  My system drive is the first sata port 0 and my main board is assigning the two IDE drives as disk 1 and 2.  The IDE drives are connected to the secondary IDE bus so I would have thought that the primary SATA bus would have been initialized before the secondary IDE bus.

My understanding is that if my data is not to be lost I need to make sure all the drives are recognized by the system during the upgrade.  I could turn off the IDE drives in bios to do the upgrade but I am afraid that will result in data loss.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:30 AM
  • Check the BIOS to see if there's a way to designate that SATA ports are to be booted first, before IDE ports.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:38 AM
  • I do not appear to be able to give higher preference to the SATA ports.  The system is an old Dell Dimension 4600.  I am wondering if I move all of the drives to another system that does not have Primary IDE if that will work.

I have access to a simularly old Dell Optiplex GX280 that has two SATA ports and two 'Secondary IDE' ports.  If I move all the drives and try to keep them assigned to the same bus, ie SATA 0 and SATA 1 and IDE Master/Slave and then reconnect the USB drives if I can do the upgrade that way?

Im thinking my only other option would be to do a clean install on a clean sysem disk and then connect each disk and manually copy the files over prior to adding the disk into the array.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 1:43 PM
  • You could perform a fresh install onto a blank disk (after disconnecting all other disks) and then use the method described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to migrate your data to the new installation.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 15, 2010 1:51 PM

That's what I would do (and I would use an IDE drive for the system drive).
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:46 AM