remote acces RRS feed

• Question

• can i get remote acces with regular xp home edition..because all the instruction said only with window xp professional
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:01 PM

All replies

• No. Windows XP Home (and Home versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7) don't support incoming Remote Desktop connections.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:54 PM
  • While it may not be supported it can be done! Search Google with this "remote access win 7 home premium" without the quotes.

YMMV

jd

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:19 PM
    • Yes, the hack works. You can apply it, then establish a remote desktop connection from any Windows computer directly to the Windows 7 Home Premium computer.
    • No, it doesn't help access a Windows 7 Home Premium computer joined to a Windows Home Server computer (as a client) through that server's Remote Access web site. Windows Home Server is aware that Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't support Remote Desktop connections, and won't let you even try to establish one.
    • No, this behaviow won't change in Vail.

And finally:

• No it's not legal (it violates the EULA). I doubt that Microsoft will hunt anyone down for this, but it's still not legal.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:39 PM
    • Yes, the hack works. You can apply it, then establish a remote desktop connection from any Windows computer directly to the Windows 7 Home Premium computer.
    • No, it doesn't help access a Windows 7 Home Premium computer joined to a Windows Home Server computer (as a client) through that server's Remote Access web site. Windows Home Server is aware that Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't support Remote Desktop connections, and won't let you even try to establish one.
    • No, this behaviow won't change in Vail.

And finally:

• No it's not legal (it violates the EULA). I doubt that Microsoft will hunt anyone down for this, but it's still not legal.

SHEESH!!!!!!
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:03 PM
  •  On 8/24/2010 3:03 PM, a5_ACES wrote:

* Yes, the hack works. You can apply it, then establish a remote desktop connection from any Windows computer directly to the Windows 7 Home Premium computer.
    * No, it doesn't help access a Windows 7 Home Premium computer joined to a Windows Home Server computer (as a client) through that server's Remote Access web site. Windows Home Server is aware that Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't support Remote Desktop connections, and won't let you even try to establish one.
    * No, this behaviow won't change in Vail.

And finally:

* No it's not legal (it violates the EULA). I doubt that Microsoft will hunt anyone down for this, but it's*still*   not legal.

SHEESH!!!!!!

Not sure what the SHEESH is for.  After all, Ken did point out that the person may be (probably is) wasting their time--as Windows Home Server will balk at the Remote Desktop attempt even though it's "enabled" on the client.  And he also pointed out the technicality of it being a violation of the EULA (just in case the OP or another person is worried about that type of thing).

Personally I'd be more concerned with the fact that Windows XP is nearing (or in) it's End of Life phase.  So, the OP may want to look seriously into upgrading to another operating system (be it Vista, Windows 7, or an alternative to Windows).

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:50 AM