Upgrading from 120 day evaluation and file backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Smile

Due to large hardware changes my 120 day evaluation copy had to be reactivated. I bought a new OEM, and as far as I can see i have to do a server reinstall as you cant just type in the new OEM key: Boot the OEM dvd and choose reinstall. Why is this not possible? Almost same hardware, just ram changes and a dvd-rom (took it in and out during troubleshooting of another pc).

Anyways. If Icant force this option to come, how do i take backups of the shares? I can browse forlders with hdd in another computer, but I can't copy, as i dont have the rights to this. Workaround? 

In advance: Thanks Smile
    Friday, January 11, 2008 4:15 PM

Answers

• Clean install does not necessarily erase data if you install the way I suggested (disconnect power to secondary drives) unless:

1. your secondary disk were filled up to the point where data from non-duplicated shares were saved on the D partition of your primary drive. In multiple disk situation should normally only contain tombstones.

2. you only have one disk installed.

Having said that, even with expired WHS you will probably be able to boot the server. Just press the power button and wait a few minutes. You can not login using RDP or KVM, but normally you should still be able to get to your shares.

If you already tried to install, and it will no longer boot WHS you can mount the hdd in another system. You should login with a username that has Administrator rights. That should allow you to acces the files or else you can change acces right / ownership

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:30 PM

All replies

• Personally I would not take backups of the shares:

I would do server reinstall with only the system disk powered up, no network cable attached, do NOT enter key during install. When install is OK attach network cable, run windows updates, then reconnect power to other hdd's. Normally WHS should immediately recognise them (after reinstall they should appear as missing), and your data will be preserved. If for some reason this doesn't work you can access them without adding the disks to the pool and you will have full access to all data.

Next thing would be to reconnect clients, and then if you're happy with the setup activate WHS.

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Thanks for fast reply.

Server reinstall is not possible. New install is the only option. System disk is connected, but the shares are here as well. Clean install will erase all data.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Clean install does not necessarily erase data if you install the way I suggested (disconnect power to secondary drives) unless:

1. your secondary disk were filled up to the point where data from non-duplicated shares were saved on the D partition of your primary drive. In multiple disk situation should normally only contain tombstones.

2. you only have one disk installed.

Having said that, even with expired WHS you will probably be able to boot the server. Just press the power button and wait a few minutes. You can not login using RDP or KVM, but normally you should still be able to get to your shares.

If you already tried to install, and it will no longer boot WHS you can mount the hdd in another system. You should login with a username that has Administrator rights. That should allow you to acces the files or else you can change acces right / ownership

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Copying from shares via network. Dont know why I did not think of it. All services were running, but i never thought shares were working. I never thought of checking today anyways.

Thank you Smile
    Friday, January 11, 2008 7:10 PM