Reassigning Office to a New Computer from a Non-Functional Od Computer RRS feed

• Question

•  I purchased a new laptop to replace a non-functional laptop.  How do I reassign the MS Office license to the new system?  I have found posts that state the I should remove Office from the older system and then install Office on the new system.  This is, of course, not possible since the old system is not working.

I have Office Home and Student 2007.  It was purchased retail with an FPP designation.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:30 AM

Answers

• Propjockey,

The removal of a previous installation is more of a pro forma step rather than a technically required step when moving a retail license from one computer to another.  There's enough flexibility built into the licensing compliance system so that multiple installations might co-exist for weeks or months before one is "caught" by validation.

Since the EULA for retail licenses of Office 2007 Home and Student allows the program to be installed on up to three computers at once in a noncommerical setting, you will be in compliance with the EULA.

If you were to immediately install it on two additional computers, the last installation might be caught as "one too many" and might be rejected by the automated activation system, and in such case you'd simply do a telephone activation and expalin that the first installation was on a computer that is no longer in service.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Lori MS Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:16 PM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:12 PM