Two different genuine key RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi to all,

I have a Product Recovery from my toshiba laptop and the os is Windows Vista Home Premium.  When I reinstall my laptop using my Product recovery and it is already activated, I'm so amazed that when I used the MGADiag, I saw that the product key is different from the product key of my COA.  I validate the my windows and it is genuine, is the product key from my product recovery(from Toshiba) is licensed?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Thunder19,

That's a great question, this was one of the major changes that Microsoft did with Vista. Computers, that are built by large manufactures, that come with Vista Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

1) OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Vista, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

2) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but can only be used on that computer and should only be used in limited situations. The key must be manually activated, and you must Activate by Phone.

When you used the Windows Recovery to reinstall Vista, it automaticly entered the OEM SLP key. At that point, Vista identified the key as an OEM SLP and then looked for the specal instructions on the Motherboard. Once Vista decoded and verified the specal instructions, it was satified that it was licensed to run on that computer and did an internal self-activation (meaning it didn't need to contact Microsoft to Activate).

In the future, if at any point the OEM SLP internal self-activation system fails (and it has been known to, from time to time), we include the COA SLP key (on the sticker on your computer) so you can change the Product key over to the COA SLP and manually Activate by Phone.

Thank you for the question,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Thunder19,

That's a great question, this was one of the major changes that Microsoft did with Vista. Computers, that are built by large manufactures, that come with Vista Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

1) OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Vista, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

2) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but can only be used on that computer and should only be used in limited situations. The key must be manually activated, and you must Activate by Phone.

When you used the Windows Recovery to reinstall Vista, it automaticly entered the OEM SLP key. At that point, Vista identified the key as an OEM SLP and then looked for the specal instructions on the Motherboard. Once Vista decoded and verified the specal instructions, it was satified that it was licensed to run on that computer and did an internal self-activation (meaning it didn't need to contact Microsoft to Activate).

In the future, if at any point the OEM SLP internal self-activation system fails (and it has been known to, from time to time), we include the COA SLP key (on the sticker on your computer) so you can change the Product key over to the COA SLP and manually Activate by Phone.

Thank you for the question,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:47 PM
  •  

You said earlier that I used the COA SLP in a limited situation, but I didn't tell you before that I was changed the OEM SLP into the COA SLP when I was reformatted my laptop and activate it through internet.  Because I want to used my COA SLP because that it was in the sticker as proof of license.  It is ok to do this everytime I reinstall my laptop?
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:20 PM
  •   There is no specific reason not to use the COA SLP key, I only say to use the COA SLP key in limited situations, because it is generally easier (for most users) to use the OEM SLP key that is installed automaticly.

Just an FYI:  Normally, COA SLP key are required to be Activated over the Internet. Currently, this requirement has been turned off, but in the future it may be turned back on. I tell you this because if you attempt to activate over the internet, you may get an error such as "Invalid Key" or "Key is already in Use". All this means is you need to Activate by Phone.  (I agree they are not user friendly messages and I am pushing to get them changed).

Thanks,

Darin

Thursday, June 12, 2008 8:54 PM