Primary Hard Disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hiya,

Is V2 going to have the same partitioning on the primary drive as V1. Ie 20GB for OS and rest for data (I expect V2 will be more like 40GB for OS based on 2008 R2 requirements). Or will it finally be able to cope with a small SSD drive purely for the OS with the bigger drives left for data?

Monday, June 21, 2010 11:15 AM

Answers

• When you install Vail, you can set the size of the system partition. (By default, it will be 60 GB.) After installation, you can exclude the system disk from the storage pool entirely, and you can extend the system partition to fill the entire system disk (using diskpart). I've done this. What I haven't done is clone the system disk onto a smaller disk, but it should be practical to do so. If you search this forum, I believe you'll find reports from people who have cloned their system drive successfully.

That said, I agree with Leen that an SSD is an extremely expensive piece of hardware to use in this case. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 21, 2010 12:20 PM

All replies

• 160 GB is the minimum for the primary HD.
    SSD is a very (way to) expensive solution with no advantage (yea. OS & programs start faster, but how often does that happen for WHS 26 times a year or so)

"Lanky Doodle" wrote in message news:328ab16b-9af0-41e7-97a5-8a3d3a99c0dc@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hiya,

Is V2 going to have the same partitioning on the primary drive as V1. Ie 20GB for OS and rest for data (I expect V2 will be more like 40GB for OS based on 2008 R2 requirements). Or will it finally be able to cope with a small SSD drive purely for the OS with the bigger drives left for data?

Have a nice day!
    Monday, June 21, 2010 12:11 PM
  • When you install Vail, you can set the size of the system partition. (By default, it will be 60 GB.) After installation, you can exclude the system disk from the storage pool entirely, and you can extend the system partition to fill the entire system disk (using diskpart). I've done this. What I haven't done is clone the system disk onto a smaller disk, but it should be practical to do so. If you search this forum, I believe you'll find reports from people who have cloned their system drive successfully.

That said, I agree with Leen that an SSD is an extremely expensive piece of hardware to use in this case. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Monday, June 21, 2010 12:20 PM
  • OK maybe not SSD then, but my point was really to know if the OS drive can be purely used for the OS and not data storage.

Maybe a suggestion for the RTM would be to give an option during installation if you want the OS drive used in the storage pool. If not, it just uses the full capacity.

Monday, June 21, 2010 12:46 PM
  • OK maybe not SSD then, but my point was really to know if the OS drive can be purely used for the OS and not data storage.

Maybe a suggestion for the RTM would be to give an option during installation if you want the OS drive used in the storage pool. If not, it just uses the full capacity.

You could always submit that suggestion on Connect yourself. :)

Probably, though, things won't change from the way they are now: you can set a primary partition size during installation (note: you may be able to set it to fill the drive; I don't know as I didn't try that specific scenario), you can exclude the system drive from server storage, and you can extend the system partition to fill any empty space on the drive. It's pretty much the same end result.

Monday, June 21, 2010 12:57 PM
  • 160 GB is the minimum for the primary HD.
    SSD is a very (way to) expensive solution with no advantage (yea. OS & programs start faster, but how often does that happen for WHS 26 times a year or so)

What would be much more important to me is that SSDs are 100% noiseless... which imho is a huge advantage!

I don't care if it has to be set in some ini-files or whatever, but is it theoretically possible to install Vail solely on a 60 (or even 40) GB system drive? Storage drives could be added later...

Edit: Or will it just error out moaning that "at least 160 GB are required" like WHS v1 is currently doing (with 65GB) even though it just needs 20GB for its system drive...

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Your system drive must be at least 160 GB in size. You can manipulate the size of the system partition through an answer file, but you can't manipulate the minimum size of the drive. There is, at present, a way to turn off the hard stops built into setup for CPU speed, disk size, and memory, but I don't expect that to be continued in the RTM product.

This is in the Vail documentation...

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Alright, if someone reads this and feels the same, make sure you upvote the suggestions on connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/569961/whs-vail-ssd-boot-drives (currently +5/-1) - closed as solved, you should use cfg.ini parameters (so let's hope it's still in RTM, huh?)

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/556179/reduce-system-drive-size-requirements-when-using-multiple-drives (currently (+25/-3)

and the biggest one:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/554531/lower-the-160-minimum (currently +111/-11)

• Proposed as answer by Sukrim Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:07 AM
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:07 AM