HomeServerConsoleTab.HP.dll blocks console RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden today, my server started to go crazy.  it started with a backup service not running error, followed by the console not being able to start (properly) because it couldnt load HomeServerConsoleTab.HP.dll (yes its a MediaSmart server).  Now, the machine is taking a good few minutes to shutdown and start back up (shutdown and boot time previiously was much faster).

I've already left the machine off for a while to try to clear ram, and have restarted countless times, but i still can't get it to go.  if i do manage to get into an RDP session and try to log off and connect back, the screen just stays blue.

any suggestions?
    thanks 
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:05 AM

Answers

• jpearl said:

so shutting down and booting up (as one action) is now taking at least 30 minutes.  I've tried to look through the logs, but im not fluent in reading them so i couldnt tell you if i saw anything abnormal (expect obviously the length of time between some opperations - but then it didnt appear that anything catastrophic was happening during that time).  i'll be glad to post any of those logs here if that would help. 

again, any help is greatly appreciated

Please submit a bug via Connect and include server and client cabs. However, for drive issues that may indicate a future failure look for the following in the system event log on the server: 

Event ID

Details

The device, [device name], has a bad block.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Application popup: Windows - Corrupt File : The file or directory  [File path is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume [volume name].

There are more but these are the most common ones we see.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 4:50 AM

All replies

• Did it do the February update? Its possible that there's an issue with the HP software, you may need to do a reinstall :(
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:27 AM
  • yes it did the february install.  going through the Event Viewer, it looks like it hit a problem last night trying to do nightly backups, and has been messed up since.  the three errors that have kept repeating in the event view all day long are:
        1) Persistent Drive Letter Service failed: Starting Service: No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.
        2) Unexpected error 0x2 from CreatFile on D:\Folders\{#####(numbers here)####}\Commit.dat: The System cannot find the file specified.
        3) Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1_qfe\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(145)

I have no clue what to do about these

Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Now whenever i reboot, it alerts me that the system drive is failing, then 5 seconds later the error goes away.  this last time on boot, it alerted me that drive extender was not running, and it seems like that is still the case.  the more time that passes, the more and more it looks like i'll have to resort to a server recovery...

does anyone have any ideas before i have to do that?

thanks
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:28 AM
  • so shutting down and booting up (as one action) is now taking at least 30 minutes.  I've tried to look through the logs, but im not fluent in reading them so i couldnt tell you if i saw anything abnormal (expect obviously the length of time between some opperations - but then it didnt appear that anything catastrophic was happening during that time).  i'll be glad to post any of those logs here if that would help. 

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:30 AM
  • Summit a bug via Connect?
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 2:24 AM
  • jpearl said:

so shutting down and booting up (as one action) is now taking at least 30 minutes.  I've tried to look through the logs, but im not fluent in reading them so i couldnt tell you if i saw anything abnormal (expect obviously the length of time between some opperations - but then it didnt appear that anything catastrophic was happening during that time).  i'll be glad to post any of those logs here if that would help. 

Please submit a bug via Connect and include server and client cabs. However, for drive issues that may indicate a future failure look for the following in the system event log on the server: 

Event ID

Details

The device, [device name], has a bad block.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Application popup: Windows - Corrupt File : The file or directory  [File path is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume [volume name].

There are more but these are the most common ones we see.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 4:50 AM
  • Lara,
    In looking through the logs, i have come across both folder event 7 and file event 7.  I believe i also saw a disk I/O (or at least i think it was a disk) somewhere in there.

Would that be a safe bet therefore that one of my drives is failing?? (there is no failing warning in the console)

I do not have the time to submit to connect right now, but i will try to do it within a day.

Thanks
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:38 AM