MS CRM 2011 production server harware sizing RRS feed

• Question

• Our application have more then 10000 users and it is highly customized using plug-in and Custom workflow . Also it has integration with other application with using ssis package which are moving thousand of reccords to other integrated application .

Currecnly we have 2  load balanced servers with 16 Gb RAM 2 Processors  .

1 DB  Server Clustered 64 GB RAm 4 precessors . 1 Report Server 2 processor with 16 Gb Ram .All these server are windows 2008 64 Bit Server and Sql Server 2008 . Performance of application is good with this configuration .

We want our application wo migrate to CRM 2011 . Could you suggest Recommneded hardware for this kind of configuration .

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:59 PM

Answers

• Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Hi known MSCRM,

I have experience with this type of environments and organization size.

In my opinion your hardware looks perfectly fine for CRM 2011, but performance wise, depends a lot of what you do with CRM and specially how many concurrent connections you actually have? and what is the current load on this servers with those concurrent users? How many workflows and plugins you may have and how often they run. From what you wrote, you don't have separate asynch servers, so I assume you don't rely heavily on workflows etc.

Also do you rely heavily on javascript on the entity forms? if you have 10 000 users you may have users across different countries/regions, CRM 2011 latency can deteriorate due to the increase in the amount of data loaded. If you haven't invested in wan-optimizers e.g. Riverbed, you may want to consider these solutions.

SQL 2012 has performance improvements, and will probably be a nice upgrade when it comes.

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:28 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:22 PM
  • @Jamie To be fair, the requirements on Technet and the planning guide only cover a load simulation of 320 users, so I think it is a valid question to ask if anyone has any experience of very large deployments and can share the spec used to support 10,000 users this question refers to
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Hi Jamie

Yes MSDN and Technet Mostly mentioned about upper tier architecture .  By looking into it it is difficult to decide number of Web and DB Servers . Also much details are not mentioned about harware sizing .

I have mentioned current harware size for application in 4.0 . Now we want to Migrate to 2011. Can you suggest what will be the idle hardware for Migrating to 2011 .

Saurabh
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:35 PM
  • Hi known MSCRM,

I have experience with this type of environments and organization size.

In my opinion your hardware looks perfectly fine for CRM 2011, but performance wise, depends a lot of what you do with CRM and specially how many concurrent connections you actually have? and what is the current load on this servers with those concurrent users? How many workflows and plugins you may have and how often they run. From what you wrote, you don't have separate asynch servers, so I assume you don't rely heavily on workflows etc.

Also do you rely heavily on javascript on the entity forms? if you have 10 000 users you may have users across different countries/regions, CRM 2011 latency can deteriorate due to the increase in the amount of data loaded. If you haven't invested in wan-optimizers e.g. Riverbed, you may want to consider these solutions.

SQL 2012 has performance improvements, and will probably be a nice upgrade when it comes.

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:28 PM
    Answerer