Service for WHS2011 Serverbackup does not start RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I have an problem with my Acer H340 Homeserver. I installed WHS2011 via "unattendend install" on my system. Everything works fine (including Twonky and DVB-Viewer for TV recording) but after I set up regular server-backup, this backup was never successful started.

I checked the Services and found out that three services were not started. I was not able to start them manual. Because I use the german version of WHS2011 I have to translate the missing services. I hope that in english they are not called totaly different:

-Windows Server-Infrastructureservice for Add-ins(German: Windows Server-Infrastrukturdienst für Add-Ins)
    -Windows Server-Identitymanagementservice (German: Windows Server-Identitätsverwaltungsdienst)
    -Windows Server-Service for Serverbackup (german: Windows Server-Dienst für Serversicherung)

I hope that anyone can help me to solve the problem or to give me a hint how to analyze the reason for the problem.

Many Thanks
    Mathias
    Friday, June 3, 2011 9:48 PM

All replies

• Mathias

I can not help other than to confirm your translation is good and that all three services you list are started Automatically on my server. The exact services are:

Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service

Windows Server Identity Management Service

Windows Server Server Backup Service

Phil

Friday, June 3, 2011 10:15 PM
  • I have the same problem here. Those three services will not stay started. If you look in the Event log you'll notice that they all terminated abnormally.

If you restart them (or reboot the WHS) they'll just crash again.

In my case this happened after I assigned two backup target devices and started a manual backup. Now I can't undo the damage. I've had to use the W2K8 R2 native backup tool to do my server backups (it supports multiple targets).

This is just ONE of the flaws I'm seeing in WHS 2011 and I've only had it up a day now!

Color me less than impressed so far (compared to WHS 1).

Stuart

Sunday, June 5, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Hello Mathias,

the same like me :-(

May be it comes from the server backup harddisk. I connect this disc to different USB Ports. Two backups are sucsessfull but now... nothing. An other impact: all users for the home server are missed. You cannot login from client pc or web access.

Now my problem has intensified. I can't connect the server with Remotedesktop.The error comes before I can login...

I have a normal installation on a normal Sandy-Bridge MB from ASUS. I think the problem comes if you change anything with the server backup target.

Bjoern

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:12 AM
  • I have the same problem here. Those three services will not stay started. If you look in the Event log you'll notice that they all terminated abnormally.

If you restart them (or reboot the WHS) they'll just crash again.

In my case this happened after I assigned two backup target devices and started a manual backup. Now I can't undo the damage. I've had to use the W2K8 R2 native backup tool to do my server backups (it supports multiple targets).

This is just ONE of the flaws I'm seeing in WHS 2011 and I've only had it up a day now!

Color me less than impressed so far (compared to WHS 1).

Stuart
    *UPDATE*

I found the cause of my problem here. I had installed the Intel Atom AHCI SATA driver and apparently it wasn't current for Windows Server 2008 R2. So after I found the correct Intel AHCI SATA driver everything worked fine.

(The default MS AHCI driver also works of course).

Stuart
    Monday, June 13, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Hello everybody,

I have an problem with my Acer H340 Homeserver. I installed WHS2011 via "unattendend install" on my system. Everything works fine (including Twonky and DVB-Viewer for TV recording) but after I set up regular server-backup, this backup was never successful started.

I checked the Services and found out that three services were not started. I was not able to start them manual. Because I use the german version of WHS2011 I have to translate the missing services. I hope that in english they are not called totaly different:

-Windows Server-Infrastructureservice for Add-ins(German: Windows Server-Infrastrukturdienst für Add-Ins)
    -Windows Server-Identitymanagementservice (German: Windows Server-Identitätsverwaltungsdienst)
    -Windows Server-Service for Serverbackup (german: Windows Server-Dienst für Serversicherung)

I hope that anyone can help me to solve the problem or to give me a hint how to analyze the reason for the problem.

Many Thanks
    Mathias

Check the SATA AHCI driver that's installed. Make sure it's either the MS AHCI driver or a supported 3rd party one that is supported under Windows Server 2008 R2 (base OS for WHS 2011).

Stuart
    Monday, June 13, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hello everybody,

many thanks for your hints! Ich think I found the problem (maybe only for my special case). I created a volume for backups with a size of 500 GB but I tried to Backup all my drives with alltogether 580 GB of data. For any reasons WHS does not recognize that this would not fit on my Backup-drive. So I persume that that was the reason why the services were terminated.

I managed to solve the problem with login via Remote Desktop and configured the backup via Server-Manager there manually. There I found out that I have the problem with the size of the Backup. After setting in up correctly in Server Manager and after a Restart the services works fine and also the first two backups worked fine.

It seems to me if not all problems are transfered correctly to dashboard and that it is possible to create inconsistent situations that brings the services to termination.

So for all others with the same problem: Try to delete the Backup-job via Server-Manager and when the services run well after restart that try to configure it step by step in the Server-Manger.

Greetings from Germany

Mathias

Monday, June 13, 2011 9:57 PM
  • thanks a lot for raising this, Mathias.

We are taking a look, bottom line is the services shouldn't be crashing if this is the root cause...

windows home server team
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:20 AM
  • Super Mathias,

my services are running well after I delete my backup task.

Never change the USB Port to my Backup Hdd...

Vielen Dank Mathias!

Bjoern

Friday, June 17, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Hi, Mathias

I've tried backup Vail system to a disk which has less space left. There is no service crash but there will be an alert said "There is no enough space on disk" for the destination disk.

Could you open a connect bug and archive the logs under %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs? These logs will provide more info for investigating the root cause of your issue.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:34 AM
  • hi, does anyone have a solution ?

www.interactif-live.com
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 8:47 AM
  • hi, does anyone have a solution ?

www.interactif-live.com

Hi,

If you met this issue, please open a connect bug and archive the logs under %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs? These logs will provide more info for investigating the root cause.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:53 AM
  • I had the same  issue; although the English naming of the services is slightly different (Windows Server Server Backup Service, Windows Server Identity Management Service ail, and Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service.) 
    I was able to manually start all three services an then they would fail again after a minute (or less.)

Try this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6828.server-backup-service-exception.aspx Although that solution appears to address only one service related issue (backup,) once I got the server backup service working, the other services also continued to work, strangely.

Turns out it was due to corrupted log files (believe it or not) and/or inability to match the logs/backup location/drives to be backed up with what I currently had. I believe my problem was caused when I spanned two drives to create one larger one to store my WSUS files on. By the way, this is a VM (virtualized WHS 2011) but that shouldn't matter for the solution.

• Edited by SDail Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:39 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:38 PM