Cannot restore site map from managed solution. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a managed solution with a button in the site map (the section starting with "Workplace").

When the managed solution is imported all is fine.

When a customer imports an unmanaged solution containing a site map the button from the managed solution disappears. I understand why.

I would expect that if I re-install the managed solution, the button in the site map would re-appear, but it does not.

Does anyone know why, and how this can be solved.

Thanks,

Jan

Monday, August 1, 2011 1:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Jan,

You hit one of the limitations around unmanaged solutions and solution merging. Customizers need to be very careful keep backups of their unmanaged solutions before making changes. In this case the absence of the node in the sitemap during import gets interrupreted as the customizer wanting to HIDE that node. The only way to get it back is to add that node in the unmanaged sitemap. The only other option is to uninstall and re-install the managed solution. This usually won't work because customers have already added data to the system and uninstalling the managed solution would cause data lose.

Hope this helps,
    Rich Dickinson
    Program Manager - Dynamics CRM

• Marked as answer by Jan AS Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean that the SiteMap have new Area, Group or SubArea etc ? because Ribbons Xml have buttons not sitemap have and if you will import unamanged sitemap solution then it will overwrite the existing sitemap and if you will use the managed site map solution then it will be merged with the exsisting sitemap.

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Monday, August 1, 2011 2:00 PM
  • What I mean is a new Area with new Group's and SubArea's.

I understand that importing an unmanages solution with a SiteMap will change the SiteMap and likely remove my Area.

Where my problem is, is why re-importing the managed solution does not bring back my Area.

Monday, August 1, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

try open the Customizations.Xml solution managed file in Visual Studio or Notepad and search for SiteMap node and verify that if it exsist in the managed solution or not.

Jehanzeb Javeed

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Monday, August 1, 2011 2:58 PM
  • The SiteMap exists in the managed solution.

On first installation it did create the new Area.

Monday, August 1, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hi,

If SiteMap XML in managed solutions contains your custom Area information then try Reset IIS, or after importing sitemap try exporting from the system and verify if it does contain New custom Area informaiton or not.

Jehanzeb Javeed

• Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, August 1, 2011 3:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jan AS Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:33 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 3:48 PM
  • I have exported the sitemap after re-installation of the managed solution and it did not contain the Area.

The need of doing an IIS Reset after installation does not sound right to me. Since Jim Glass does see this as the right answer I will start a separate thread on this.

Thanks,

Jan

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

I experience the problem that some time due to high resourses comsumption by IIS process, CRM changes would not published and reseting an IIS will make changes published.

Jehanzeb Javeed

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest you to perform the following steps:

1. Export SiteMap customizations from the system where managed solution sitemap changes are not reflecting

2. open Managed solution Customizations.Xml in visual studio or Notepad copy the sitemap custom Area xml code

3. Paste it into the SiteMap customizations and reimport into the system

Now check if the sitemap changes are reflecting or still the problem exsists.

Jehanzeb Javeed

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:26 AM
  • I know I can repair the sitemap in this way, but it is a but much to ask from our customers that installed our managed solution.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

I woudl suggest you to try restore the sitemap and check if the problem still persist or else you migth need to contact Microsoft Support for this related issue (seems like issue sepcif to your deployment) we do lot of Export/Import managed solution with included SiteMap cusotmizations but never had faced this issue.

Jehanzeb Javeed

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:42 AM
  • I did an IIS Reset and it did not help. I also imported the managed solution again after the reset, still no luck.

Again, there is no problem if you only have managed solutions. But if the sitemap is changed by an unmanaged solution that contains a sitemap without my Area, I do not get back my Area if I re-install the managed solution. Also not if I select "Overwrite Customizations".

A typical scenario where this would happen is if a customer has a test environment where he creates his customizations, and he only has the managed solution in his production environment and not on the test machine.

When this customer exports his customizations unmanaged, and imports it into his production machine the Area's from the managed solution will be lost and cannot be restored by re-importing the managed solution.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Hi Jan,

You hit one of the limitations around unmanaged solutions and solution merging. Customizers need to be very careful keep backups of their unmanaged solutions before making changes. In this case the absence of the node in the sitemap during import gets interrupreted as the customizer wanting to HIDE that node. The only way to get it back is to add that node in the unmanaged sitemap. The only other option is to uninstall and re-install the managed solution. This usually won't work because customers have already added data to the system and uninstalling the managed solution would cause data lose.

Hope this helps,
    Rich Dickinson
    Program Manager - Dynamics CRM

• Marked as answer by Jan AS Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:15 AM