SATA drive not recognized during install, continued anyway RRS feed

• Question

• For whatever reason, homeserver would not accept the SATA card driver on a USB, even tried the latest from the mfg.  Continued with the install, went into device drivers and told windows to search for the best driver, which is successfully did.  Now I can see the drive, but it still has all my prior data (movies), which is not a bad thing, but not sure the drive is now correctly installed.  What do I do now?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:33 AM

All replies

• Home server is installed on an IDE 80G drive, and the SATA drive is a 1T with a PCI SATA controller card.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:13 AM
  • For whatever reason, homeserver would not accept the SATA card driver on a USB, even tried the latest from the mfg.  Continued with the install, went into device drivers and told windows to search for the best driver, which is successfully did.  Now I can see the drive, but it still has all my prior data (movies), which is not a bad thing, but not sure the drive is now correctly installed.  What do I do now?

You cannot just add a drive to the WHS storage pool without turning over complete control of it (which includes a complete format of the hard drive).  Did you do a New Installation or a Server Reinstallation?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:44 AM

You cannot just add a drive to the WHS storage pool without turning over complete control of it (which includes a complete format of the hard drive).  Did you do a New Installation or a Server Reinstallation?

It is a new install, the 1T PCI/SATA controller card was not recognized, until after WHS was installed and I manually forced WHS to find the correct driver.  I can lose the data on the 1T drive, it's duplicated on my XP machine.  Should I format c:\ and start over?  If so, how do I get the controller driver recognized, putting it on a USB drive did not work.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:00 AM
  • It is a new install, the 1T PCI/SATA controller card was not recognized, until after WHS was installed and I manually forced WHS to find the correct driver.  I can lose the data on the 1T drive, it's duplicated on my XP machine.  Should I format c:\ and start over?  If so, how do I get the controller driver recognized, putting it on a USB drive did not work.
    I'm confused. :)  You said you "manually forced WHS to find the correct driver", yet you also said, "how do I get the controller driver recognized".  Does WHS now see the SATA drive or not?  If it does, then just add it to the storage pool (at which time it will be formatted).  If it doesn't see the drive, you should try logging into the server desktop (which is unsupported), go to Windows Update and install only the related driver for your SATA card (if it shows up).

(FYI, WHS will never see SATA drives as SATA drives unless you supply the drivers manually during installation because WHS is written on top of Server 2003 and there were no SATA drivers with that OS.)
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:41 AM
  • during the initial install, the SATA card (Raid capable, but not activated) was not recognized.  I downloaded the latest driver for the card from the mfg and put it on a USB drive.  Told whs to pull the driver from the USB drive.  It did something but still did not recognize the drive... so I continued anyway.  After the install was complete, went to control panel/system/hardware and noticed the SATA card had the yellow explanation point, so told it to go find the best driver... and it did.  The 1T drive shows up as a separate drive, not in the pool.  I have not been able to add it to the pool.

How can I find the 2003 server driver for this card, so I can get it installed during the initial installation?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Essentially you just did a new install. So you have no data in your storage pool. You cannot just hook up your drive to get it back. As long as it detects the disk, you should be able to copy that data back to the storage pool (but you may need a separate disk to hold all that data)

See: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:43 PM
  • during the initial install, the SATA card (Raid capable, but not activated) was not recognized.  I downloaded the latest driver for the card from the mfg and put it on a USB drive.  Told whs to pull the driver from the USB drive.  It did something but still did not recognize the drive... so I continued anyway.  After the install was complete, went to control panel/system/hardware and noticed the SATA card had the yellow explanation point, so told it to go find the best driver... and it did.  The 1T drive shows up as a separate drive, not in the pool.  I have not been able to add it to the pool.

How can I find the 2003 server driver for this card, so I can get it installed during the initial installation?

It doesn't matter whether WHS sees the drive during a New Installation or not.  As long as it sees it now, just use the Console and add it to the storage pool.  If you are unable to add it to the pool, how are you trying to add it?  What exactly is the error message you're getting?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:35 PM

It doesn't matter whether WHS sees the drive during a New Installation or not.  As long as it sees it now, just use the Console and add it to the storage pool.  If you are unable to add it to the pool, how are you trying to add it?  What exactly is the error message you're getting?
    I finally reinstalled, with the drive disconnected and then hot connected once windows was up and running.  I formatted the drive and added it to the pool.  So all is good now... sort of :)

Is there anyway to take the C drive out of the storage pool.  I really don't want data stored on that drive, thinking in case there's ever a failure on the system drive, reinstallation will be easier?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:53 PM
  • I finally reinstalled, with the drive disconnected and then hot connected once windows was up and running.  I formatted the drive and added it to the pool.  So all is good now... sort of :)

Is there anyway to take the C drive out of the storage pool.

No, but the C partition on the primary drive is not used for data storage at all, and the D partition (the DATA partition on the primary drive) is only used when there is no free space anywhere else on your server.

I really don't want data stored on that drive, thinking in case there's ever a failure on the system drive, reinstallation will be easier?
    Nope, it makes no difference whether data is there or not in terms of reinstallation.  It only matters if data is on the primary drive at the time of the drive failure and you don't have Folder Duplication enabled for all shares (in that case, you run a chance of losing data).

Also, one other word of advice:  I would strongly recommend you do a test Server Reinstallation now so you will know the process if it ever becomes necessary later on.  (And considering you're using SATA drives connected to a controller card that is not part of the mobo, I can pretty much guarantee you will need to load the driver for that controller card at least once, perhaps twice.)
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:04 AM