How does a backup work when the computer is hibernating? RRS feed

• Question

• I thought that hibernating was the equivalent of being turned completely off but with a hibernation file saved. How does the connector software initiate a backup if the computer is shut down?

Thanks,

Mitch
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:38 PM

All replies

• Makman said:

I thought that hibernating was the equivalent of being turned completely off but with a hibernation file saved. How does the connector software initiate a backup if the computer is shut down?

Thanks,

Mitch

Because it's not completely shut down.  :)

The client PC brings itself out of hibernation at a random time it selected for itself (within the backup time window provided by the server), then starts backing itself up to the server.
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Monday, October 27, 2008 12:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Makman Monday, October 27, 2008 3:25 AM
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:46 PM
  • I have just been trying to learn about this before I posted. I was not familiar before but have learned about sleep states S0-S5. Hibernation is S4, is it not? I thought S4 is the same as S5 in terms of power state.

Thanks,

Mitch
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Mitch, that's correct. But S4/S5 is not the same as unplugged/power supply turned off; there is still power to the motherboard. There are hardware timers that can be set to bring the PC out of hibernation or boot it at a set time.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 27, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Are there any settings in the bios that have to be enable?

Thanks

Mitch
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:20 PM
  • You'll find that in the manual for your computer or motherboard.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Makman Monday, October 27, 2008 2:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Makman Monday, October 27, 2008 2:36 PM
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:29 PM
  • I meant in general?

Mitch
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

Through the Power Options in the Control Panel. You may need to create a new plan in Vista to achieve hibernation. However, it depends on your motherboard if anything need to be set in it's BIOS.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 2:42 PM