none
Prolem installing HPC on Windows Server 2008

Question

• The following post has been moved from the archived forums.  The post was started by user ahmad_ie on 1/19/2008:

I want to install HPC on windows server 2008

I have downloaded HPC beta 1 from microsoft website in hope to test and examin the product but I faced several problem during the installation as follow:

First I used the setup.msi that comes in the pack and I selected "Create New Compute Cluster" and I used the default selection in the rest of the wizard and the installation process start normally. My problem comes when Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005 fail to install due to some missing files. I found out that the files are located in different directory so I moved them to the correct one. But still the installer kept asking about missing files which I was unable to find in the whole package. I gave up and moved to a second solution.

In my second solution I downloaded a fresh copy of SQL Server Express 2005 and it was installed successfully. Then I ran the HPC beta setup.msi but this time I selected "Install Client Utilities" and again default selection for the rest of the wizard. The installation was completed successfully this time. I went to start menu and luanch the application but the following message come:

Failer to connect to LOCALHOST
    Details:
    Failer to communicate with remote SDM store. No connection could be made because  the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:9892
    Do you want to connect to another cluster?

Did anyone face the same problem?

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:51 PM

Answers

• You need to have a 'new cluster' created before you can install client utilities or join and existing cluster. from the post, it seems like your attempts to install the new cluster failed  and you proceeded to try and install the client utilities.

the client utilities start up resulted in error because it is looking for a 'Head node' for the cluster, which was never installed.

If you re-run the setup on the local machine, uninstall the client utlities, and run setup again to install a 'new cluster' this shoudl go to completeion successfully -- 

to overcome the SQL problem - try downloading the entire download packet on the local machine and then re-run the setup. I would reccomend trying thr CTP build for download and install.

hope that helps --

thanks

-parmita

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 4:32 PM