Windows XP reinstall issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Well I'm more than a little peeved. I have Windows XP Professional.

Last week two Windows XP automatic updates were installed on my machine when I was shutting it down. Since then I haven't been able to boot up my computer. It comes up with Choose mode with options like Safe mode with networking. No matter which option you pick  the compter never gets to  Windows but just restarts.

I couldn't find my XP CD so I got one from work. I have tried everything to repair Windows with this CD but there nothing worked so I decided to reinstall Windows.

Now I chose not to overwrite my copy of Windows as I didnt want to lose My Documents. So I started the install no problem then setup asks for my Product Key which I have on my computer. It is telling me that the key is invalid.

I have searched the web and I know I can find my key but seeing as I can't even get into Windows this is not any use to me.

Can someone please help me here before I lose it.

Thanks in advance
    Johnny
    Monday, November 19, 2007 9:05 PM

Answers

• Johnny,

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm MS

Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:03 PM