Communicator connecting to a non-onsite DC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I noticed a strange behaviour in the OC client.

We have the OCS server in the datacenter, and clients in our office. Both sites have a working DC. But still, OC clients are establishing some connection to the DC that is in the same site as the OCS server, to destination port 1025. Exchange2007 is also in the datacenter site. If I choose office integration to none, there are no connection to the datacenter DC, port 1025.

Why is OC using a non-local DC, if it should use the same logonserver as during sign-on into domain after windows boot? There is GC running on every DC.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 12:02 PM

Answers

• Ok, it seems that is the expected behavior if there is no local exchange server at the same site as the users, and in that case users are connecting to the same DC as the exchange does.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:06 AM

All replies

• Excactly, then you need to Configure your remote DC to be a GC

But depending on you environment this might not be a good choice if you have lots of domains

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:12 PM
  • You may have misunderstood the scenario:

In the office AD-site, OC (I mean Office Communicator Clients) are using a GC, that is in the datacenter (the datacenter, where we have OCS server, and Exchange 2007 server), although we have also GC available locally in the office AD-site.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 4:45 PM
  • How are the Outlook profiles configured?

Are you using RPC over HTTPS to connect to the Exchange servers?

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Ok, it seems that is the expected behavior if there is no local exchange server at the same site as the users, and in that case users are connecting to the same DC as the exchange does.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:06 AM
  • In my opinion that is not expected behavior

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:24 PM