Windows Home Server backup failed: OneCare issue? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Not sure if this is actually a OneCare issue, but this used to work.   I have an HP MediaSmart server running Windows Home Server, and several OneCare-protected computers on the network.    OneCare Backup is turned off, in favor of the WHS backup process.

When I try to run a backup, the backup fails and gives this message: 

The backup failed because of an error reading data from your hard drive.  To resolve this problem, try running "chkdsk /f /r" on each of your hard drives and restart your computer.

When I run chkdsk /f /r, I get this message:

The type of the file system is NTFS. 

Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.   Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

So my first thought was that OneCare has the drive tied up, but I couldn't figure out what I should do next.   Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike

Friday, September 19, 2008 4:45 PM

Answers

• Hello Mike, the files are in use by the operating system and this is a normal message to see when running chkdsk. When you are ready to run chkdsk ( it could take up to several hours on a large drive ) select "Yes" and restart your computer.

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hello Mike, the files are in use by the operating system and this is a normal message to see when running chkdsk. When you are ready to run chkdsk ( it could take up to several hours on a large drive ) select "Yes" and restart your computer.

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Thanks Jim.   Two developments make me now believe this isn't a OneCare issue at all.   I was able to successfully backup one of my other OneCare-equipped computers.   Also, CHKDSK returned a message about my drive being "RAW" format.   Either this is remnants of a recent malware battle, or my hard drive is toast.   I'll pursue other support avenues, but thanks again for your help.

Friday, September 19, 2008 11:33 PM