Determining when data was changed within Microsoft Money RRS feed

• Question

• Evening! How would one go about getting the "Date/Time" stamp of a record change within Microsoft Money? I ask, because I'm doing some forensic accounting and the primary user has gone in; after the expense entry was originally keyed and has added what is believed to be false information in the Category/Split section of the transaction.  I'm trying to show that the record keeper went back in several days/weeks, after the record was initially keyed, without information in the Category/Split section to prove that a falsification of records has happened. Thanks in advance for the guidance; hope this is a good/interesting question to answer!

Friday, September 20, 2013 5:32 AM

All replies

• Depending on the version and how the user has set it up, Money keeps backup copies of recent Money files.  They have a file extension of *.mbf instead of *.mny.  Do a search for *.mbf files.  And look at the creation dates.  Chose the one you want and double click on it.  Be sure to change the file name for the restored file.  Do NOT accept the default name which would overwrite your current file.  This is you only hope of finding prior data.  Money does not internally keep a record of changes and other than an NSA type investigation of the hard drive, there no way to get what you want if you only have access to the current file.
    Friday, September 20, 2013 3:05 PM