Suggestion: 'Backup and Shut Down' as Windows client shutdown option RRS feed

• Question

• Why not allow Windows clients to run a backup on system shutdown?  e.g. add 'Backup and Shut Down' to the Start Menu/'orb' etc. 

I'm not sure whether this could be within the scope of the WHS Connector client or if it's too tightly integrated within the Windows program.  However it's a possible workaround for those who cannot (or don't wish to) leave their PCs on for an overnight scheduled backup and WHS isn't able to remotely wake/shut down clients.

Any thoughts?

cheers,
    Ben
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:18 PM

All replies

•  Ben Hooper wrote:
    Why not allow Windows clients to run a backup on system shutdown? e.g. add 'Backup and Shut Down' to the Start Menu/'orb' etc.

I'm not sure whether this could be within the scope of the WHS Connector client or if it's too tightly integrated within the Windows program. However it's a possible workaround for those who cannot (or don't wish to) leave their PCs on for an overnight scheduled backup and WHS isn't able to remotely wake/shut down clients.

Well, WHS doesn't remotely wake clients. The connector on the client wakes the client up, though ACPI or other tools. You shouldn't need to leave your PCs on overnight; they should be able to wake up from power saving modes and run the backup.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:51 PM
  • Ken,

I believe this suggestion has been given too little attention so far. I had the same idea and also came across this suggestion by zentaur1ger which received some very positive reactions (see http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1297359&SiteID=50). This would be an ideal solution for laptops and people that just want to switch off their computer. It is similar to the "Install updates and shut down" option that is shown if updates are available. It also allows people to decide when to make a backup (not every computer needs a daily backup). Can you please reconsidder this option or put it up for voting?

Thanx

Arnoud.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 8:59 PM
  • First, I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. Smile

It's too late to see this added to V1, of course. But I know that the team is monitoring these forums, and is paying attention to popular suggestions, so it's possible that there will be changes in this area for a future version.

I'm not going to go into detail, but there are some technical challenges to anything that deals with ACPI. Hardware, software, and configuration all have to be right, or bad things can happen. In my case, my desktop goes into and recovers from standby or hibernation with no issues, so I just have it set to stand by after 30 minutes of inactivity. The connector wakes it to do a backup, then it goes back to sleep. And S3 only consumes a few watts more than S4 (hibernation), which is good enough for me.

As for backups, if a PC doesn't need to be backed up regularly, that usually means that little is changing. In that case, backups won't take much time, or consume much additional space on WHS.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 10:10 PM
  • Is there a way to attract the attention of the WHS team? Maybe everybody that wants this feature can click "Yes" on the "Was this post helpful?" at the start of this topic? Or is there another way?

Ken, nice signature

Arnoud.

Friday, July 20, 2007 2:29 PM
  •  afix wrote:
    Is there a way to attract the attention of the WHS team? Maybe everybody that wants this feature can click "Yes" on the "Was this post helpful?" at the start of this topic? Or is there another way?
    The team reads the forum. Joel Burt posts frequently, as does Tom Zeigmann, a summer intern on the team. I don't think there's anything more to be done, honestly. The message is already getting through.
     afix wrote:
    Ken, nice signature
    I, umm, got tired of typing it in posts? Smile
    Friday, July 20, 2007 4:03 PM