none
Impossible to reply to a posting using IE8 RRS feed

Answers

• I spent some time debugging and found the problem.  It's with the history items reasons that are blank.  We allow edits to have an empty "reason" on your own posts.

The code is rendering a span tag: <span class="reason" /> 
    A reason with text looks like: <span class="reason">Edited due to typo</span>

IE doesn't like that it isn't closed.  The fix was simply to not include the span if no data is present.

I've pushed the fixed file to our test team to test on our pre-production environment, being that it's Friday afternoon I don't suspect we'll have the fix pushed out until Monday/Tuesday.

Have a great weekend.
    Sam Jarawan - Senior Development Lead - Server and Tools Online
    • Proposed as answer by nobugz Friday, June 12, 2009 11:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Don Tan Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:33 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:26 PM
  • We've pushed the fix out today. The multiple reply windows should be fixed in IE. Let us know if anyone is having problems replying in IE.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    • Edited by Don Tan Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:12 AM Fixing bug
    • Proposed as answer by Don Tan Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by imurphy Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:12 AM

All replies

• It'as a partner forum so most of us can't access it.

I just had a similar issue. There was a thread with about five replies. When I selected Reply to the last post in the thread not only that reply box opened but two earlier ones as well. I then - on doing Save - got the same message as you.

My workaround (after several attempts including new tab) was to reply to the message that started the thread. That then (identical reply text) went OK.
    WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:07 PM
  • It is most likely a problem with the page, containing some HTML posted by another user that trips up the Javascript.  This has happened several times already, it requires a moderator to edit the post that causes the problem.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:13 PM
  • That sounds a lot like this problem , post your feedback there.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:40 PM
  • I assumed this forum was used by the (MS) maintainers of the site to get feedback. This isn't the case?

Seems a bit ironic that the problem should only affect IE

Ian
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:28 PM
  • I've notified the Forums Team on this and will file a bug.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Friday, June 12, 2009 5:21 PM
  • I spent some time debugging and found the problem.  It's with the history items reasons that are blank.  We allow edits to have an empty "reason" on your own posts.

The code is rendering a span tag: <span class="reason" /> 
    A reason with text looks like: <span class="reason">Edited due to typo</span>

IE doesn't like that it isn't closed.  The fix was simply to not include the span if no data is present.

I've pushed the fixed file to our test team to test on our pre-production environment, being that it's Friday afternoon I don't suspect we'll have the fix pushed out until Monday/Tuesday.

Have a great weekend.
    • Proposed as answer by nobugz Friday, June 12, 2009 11:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Don Tan Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:33 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:26 PM
  • Nice bug hunt Sam.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:45 PM
  • Fyi... This fix will be released as part of our June Release which will be the week of 6/26.

Thanks
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:50 PM
  • Well, maybe somebody made a blank-reasoned edit on this page?  I'm having a problem viewing your post right now.  The string "Report As Abuse" is directly above the "Reply", and there is no grey bar at the bottom of your post.

Ha, same problem caused when Hans marked it as "Proposed as Answer"  the same fix will fix it.
    thanks!

Saturday, June 13, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Good to see such a fast reaction. Thanks Sam

Don,
    How did you notify the forums team? Should I have reported this in other place?

Ian
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:03 PM
  • We (The Forums Team), monitor the bug reporting Forum. Not every minute but at least on a daily basis.

Sam, is the Development Lead and I'm the Test Lead. :)
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Yea, I can see the same issue as well (W7RC + IE8).  It only seems to happen though when you attempt to post a reply from the thread's dedicated page.  If you use the preview drop-down feature on a thread in the forum view (or in My Forums or My Forum Threads views) then you can reply.  The issue seems to be that the reply action opens a reply window on both the post clicked on and an answered (or another previous post) essentially opening two reply windows, neither of which can be blank, hence the character range error.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Until the fix gets pushed on or about 6/26, the following allows you to workaround this.
    If you want to reply to any post and get the multiple edit windows opening, refresh the page or click cancel. Then right click the "Reply" or "Quote" link below the post you wish to reply to and select open in new tab or open in new window.
    The resulting edit/entry box is rudimentary, but it works. It is plain text and requires you to break lines manually with a <br> tag and you don't get a preview, but at least you can reply or quote without jumping through too many hoops.
    -steve
    (who used that method to reply to this thread)
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 15, 2009 4:11 PM
  • We've pushed the fix out today. The multiple reply windows should be fixed in IE. Let us know if anyone is having problems replying in IE.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    • Edited by Don Tan Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:12 AM Fixing bug
    • Proposed as answer by Don Tan Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by imurphy Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:12 AM
  • Hi Don Tan,

It's fixed. Thank you.
    Vincenzo Di Russo - Microsoft MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security - Since 2003. ~~~ My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:35 AM