CRM Will not open at all, issues with SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

•  I am having a strange issue configuring a brand new CRM test environment. I am using 2 servers, one with Windows Server 2003 and another is a Windows Server 2008 with SQL Server 2008. I am not sure what has changed but am at a loss on how to fix this?

1. I just installed CRM into a new environment this morning. (CRM_SERVER1)
    2. Everything seemed to be working just fine however I could not get a report to display via the GUI
    3. I went to the htp://myserver/ReportServer and was able to open up a report.
    4. I decided that I needed to install the SQL Connector for Reporting Services. Started the install but got stopped at an error. "Unable to validate SQL Server Reporting Services Report Server installation. Please check that it is correctly installed on the local machine. "
    5. Went to lunch....
    6. Came back and CRM would not open via IE at all... no errors or anything
    7. I tried to open the htp://myserver/ReportServer URL on the SQL Server (SQL_SERVER1)using the installattion account and got the below error?
    8. CRM will not open up either, however I can log into SQL Server and see my CRM Databases...

SQL Server Reporting Services

Reporting Services Error

• The permissions granted to user 'DSA\SRVACCOUNTCRM' are insufficient for performing this operation. (rsAccessDenied) Get Online Help

SQL Server Reporting Services
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:22 PM

Answers

• It sounds like the environment has some issues that may be the root - uninstalling CRM would be a start - but look into whether your DNS within the test environment is fully functional - self-contained environments can be a challenge when trying to build them up and get all parts running - I'd drop back and make sure your foundation is solid, then re-add SQL, then reporting services, and after thourough testing, add cRM.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:47 PM
  • yes - installing the SSRS connector on the SQL server would be the next step.  (and make sure you can access reports from the CRM server via the SQL web interface - (http://sqlservername/REPORTS) If there are problems, (and even if there aren't - be sure to run the SSRS configuration wizard to make sure there are no errors/unconfigured steps.)

If you run into problems with the AD trust - I'd encourage you to close this thread and open a new one since I'm sure that could turn into a lengthy discussion.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Friday, November 13, 2009 4:12 PM

All replies

• Are you installing the SQL Connector on the SQL server or on the CRM server? - make sure it's on the SQL server (where reporting services are installed)

Also - run through the SQL Reporting Services configuration tool to make sure it shows as being fully ready to go. -

Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Thanks Scott,

This machine does not have internet access and is segmented on its own LAN, they are both in the same Domain and the account I used for install is a Domain Admin (Testing). I am able to run the installation with the updated installation .msp files. (FYI - You must run the CMD Script or installation exe by right click and "Run as Administrator")

Here is what I have so far:

SQL Server
    1. The SQL Reporting Services config tool is not reporting any errors
    2. I can log into htp://myserver/ReportServer on the SQL Server
    3. YES! I got the connector installed. This article by "Johnathan" was the was a great help. It talks about installing on server 2008.

NOW

CRM Server
    1. Is still completely down? I cannot get to my single Organization on login.
    2. I can ping the SQL Server from the CRM Server and get a response
    3. ISSUE: I did a "Restore" of the CRM Server and now can see that CRM states "Unable to connect to the remote server http://CRMTEST2:5555"

Now given that I cannot get to the SQL Server from the CRM Server via the browser I suspect there is "something" preventing me, what?
    Could this be the same issue? Can CRM not talk to SQL Server for some reason all of the sudden?
    I am tempted to uninstall CRM completely and reinstall to see what happens or if I get any errors, I am still confused as to why I could connect at one time and now cannot?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Do you tried to restart MS CRM Async service? It will generate a new Key and hopefully should be fine.
    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:33 PM
  • Good suggestion but no luck. Thanks.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:45 PM
  • It sounds like the environment has some issues that may be the root - uninstalling CRM would be a start - but look into whether your DNS within the test environment is fully functional - self-contained environments can be a challenge when trying to build them up and get all parts running - I'd drop back and make sure your foundation is solid, then re-add SQL, then reporting services, and after thourough testing, add cRM.

Friday, November 13, 2009 1:47 PM
  • I GOT IT!

I agree, self contained environments are a pain, even more so when you dont have an internet connection into them and your using SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008 with a 2003 front end. I has to script the msp files for the install, easy but another step.

IIS: I have no idea why CRM wasn't able to connect to IIS. I could telnet into IIS, restarted it... nothing. I did a reinstall and it worked fine.
    SRS: I had a proxy configured and needed to remove that from IE. Once I did I could connect to SRS

What's Still Wrong?
    CRM is installed but the reports will not open up. I suspect I may need to install the SRS Connector at this point.

What's Next?
    We are attempting to test authentication between two Domain Controllers. CRM Security Groups reside in DC1, and the users are in DC2. We are testing a two way trust between DC1 and DC2 to be sure CRM can authenticate users in this environment. (Any best practices appreciated)

Friday, November 13, 2009 4:03 PM
  • yes - installing the SSRS connector on the SQL server would be the next step.  (and make sure you can access reports from the CRM server via the SQL web interface - (http://sqlservername/REPORTS) If there are problems, (and even if there aren't - be sure to run the SSRS configuration wizard to make sure there are no errors/unconfigured steps.)

If you run into problems with the AD trust - I'd encourage you to close this thread and open a new one since I'm sure that could turn into a lengthy discussion.

Friday, November 13, 2009 4:12 PM
  • I can access the reports via http://sqlservername/REPORTS on the CRM Server, however from within the GUI they will not open up. I did install the SQL Server and verified via the Deployment Manager that the correct URL is displayed? I ran the configuration wizard, nothing....?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:00 PM
  • This normally isn't this difficult in a clean domain/environment - perhaps there are still issues in the AD/DNS that are interferring.

Earlier you mentioned you don't have internet access in this testdomain -  I'm assuming you didn't download/install the updated installation files during the installation - is that correct? - I don't know of a specific issue fixed that would cause this, but it would be a good idea to uninstall / d/l the installer updates (there's a documented method of getting them if you don't have inet access during installation. - can't lay my hand on it at the moment, but search around and you'll find it.) -

Then /also/ install the hotfixes for both server and SSRS

Friday, November 13, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Scott,

I actually did install the updates via downloading them to another machine and linking to this environment. I used the instruction found here or here and the Implementation Guide Page 100 covers the SRS install as well. (In case anyone else find this post and needs them)

I didn't set up the servers so I don't have a lot of confidence that they are set up correctly these are LDIFE's (copies) of the production domain controllers. Unfortunately I expect similar issues if we go to production.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Not sure what I can tell you - other than there is a better than good chance that there are real differences in the way networking works in your production environment - (e.g. things configured/working in production aren't working correctly in this isolated / test domain. - network traffic / routing / dns - there's a long list of things that could cause your test environment to not mimic your production environment exactly. - )

Friday, November 13, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Thanks Scott, still no luck on this one. Turned dev errors on and got this: Doesn't mean much?

---

Microsoft CRM Error Report:
    Error Description:
    The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

Error Details:
    The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

Full Stack:
    [SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host]
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
    at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

[IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.]
    at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.MakeMemoryStream(Stream stream)

[WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.]
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at Microsoft.Crm.ReportingServices2005.ReportingService2005.ListExtensions(ExtensionTypeEnum ExtensionType)
    at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.ReportServer.IsDataExtensionInstalled(String extensionName)

[CrmReportingException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.]
    at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.ReportServer.IsDataExtensionInstalled(String extensionName)
    at Microsoft.Crm.Reporting.ReportServer.get_IsDataConnectorInstalled()
    at Microsoft.Crm.Web.Reporting.CrmReportServerCredentials.get_ImpersonationUser()
    at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.OnCredentialsChanged(IReportServerCredentials credentials)
    at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.set_ReportServerCredentials(IReportServerCredentials value)
    at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer.CreateServerReport()
    at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportHierarchy..ctor()
    at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer..ctor()
    at ASP.dhsstakeholderengagement_crmreports_rsviewer_reportviewer_aspx.__BuildControlreportViewer()
    at ASP.dhsstakeholderengagement_crmreports_rsviewer_reportviewer_aspx.__BuildControlform1()
    at ASP.dhsstakeholderengagement_crmreports_rsviewer_reportviewer_aspx.__BuildControlTree(dhsstakeholderengagement_crmreports_rsviewer_reportviewer_aspx __ctrl)
    at ASP.dhsstakeholderengagement_crmreports_rsviewer_reportviewer_aspx.FrameworkInitialize()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at ASP.dhsstakeholderengagement_crmreports_rsviewer_reportviewer_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Other Message:
    Error Number:
    0x80048300

Source File:
    Not available

Line Number:
    Not available
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:50 PM