Home Server Hardware Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Home Server that I have been using for months. However, I had it in a smal tower before and I recently tore it all apart and upgraded to a tall tower nd added a few more hard drives. Now I am getting all sorts of errors such as (Transport service failed) (Windows Explorer Failed) and others... I tried reinstalling the OS. I found one of my hard drives I added was bad so I removed it and repaired all the backups, but still the problem persists. I thought I had it sorted out but occasionally it goes down the same way. It just freezes, so I believe the problem may be hardware related. I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction. Also, I opened the Event Viewer and there are a lot of errors under the system category. I haven't put any third party software on the server all I have tried to install was PP3 and when installing it the computer slows to a crawl and you can't do anything and then the installation fails.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:13 PM

Answers

• If you want to go the way of a fresh server installation, a method would be to get a new disk, disconnect all old drives from the server and install WHS on that new disk.
    If this works, you find information about getting your data back in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

An overused power supply or a faulty disk / cable /controller or a problematic driver or overheating could be potential reasons for your hardware problem - without further information it cannot be told remotely. Could also be capacitors on the mainboard, which are starting to blow up. If the system is self build and based on an older motherboard, this is also a possible reason. Can you find related information in the event log of your WHS?
    Instead of repairing the backup database it is often useful to delete it and start over with backups from the scratch.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by yahtzee06 Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:17 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:30 PM

All replies

• have you tried a full install, because if that dont work then i could be hardware related, but it depends, cause if it all worked before hand when you had it in the smaller case and when you upgraded it to a full tower and just added some hdds, you could try and remove the hdds you recently added and see what happens.
    HMG
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:17 PM
  • I tried removing the HDD and going back to the old configuration, and I did a server reinstal I could try the full install. I just didn't want to lose the data. Do you think that might help?
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Well if you have tried a server installation and the problem still remains maybe its something on one of the other drives thats causing the problem. If you should do a Full Re-Installtion of Windows Home Server then you should backup all your data, before doing it. My suggestion at present, is to see if anyone else replies to this Post before going ahead with it, someone might have a better idea

HMG
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:51 PM
  • I have a Windows Home Server that I have been using for months. However, I had it in a smal tower before and I recently tore it all apart and upgraded to a tall tower nd added a few more hard drives. Now I am getting all sorts of errors such as (Transport service failed) (Windows Explorer Failed) and others... I tried reinstalling the OS. I found one of my hard drives I added was bad so I removed it and repaired all the backups, but still the problem persists. I thought I had it sorted out but occasionally it goes down the same way. It just freezes, so I believe the problem may be hardware related. I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction. Also, I opened the Event Viewer and there are a lot of errors under the system category. I haven't put any third party software on the server all I have tried to install was PP3 and when installing it the computer slows to a crawl and you can't do anything and then the installation fails.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Freezing could be tied to any one of a number of hardware issues (the most common being bad RAM and/or an overworked power supply).  You could start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.  If that doesn't help, you might try going back to as much of the "original hardware configuration" as possible (i.e. removing the added drives, which could be pushing your PSU too much).
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:02 PM
  • If you want to go the way of a fresh server installation, a method would be to get a new disk, disconnect all old drives from the server and install WHS on that new disk.
    If this works, you find information about getting your data back in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

An overused power supply or a faulty disk / cable /controller or a problematic driver or overheating could be potential reasons for your hardware problem - without further information it cannot be told remotely. Could also be capacitors on the mainboard, which are starting to blow up. If the system is self build and based on an older motherboard, this is also a possible reason. Can you find related information in the event log of your WHS?
    Instead of repairing the backup database it is often useful to delete it and start over with backups from the scratch.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by yahtzee06 Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:17 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Thank you everyone. It turned out to be another bad HDD I pulled everything and did a new installation. Now I am just checking each of the old drives individually on another machine.

Thanks again
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:18 AM