Windows 7 Laptops connected via wireless not getting backed up automatically, Does WHS 2011 backup laptops over wireless? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 new HP Windows 7 Laptops hooked up to network with WHS 2011.  I manually did initial backups for Laptops.  Appears the laptops have not been backed up since the manual initial backups.  Laptops are left on all time, I think they go to sleep mode.  Only connect via wireless.  

Does WHS 2011 backup laptops over wireless automatically?   Is this possible or do they need to be hardwired periodically??  Any other suggestions

Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:52 PM

Answers

• Thank you to other posters.  Not sure what was wrong,  but finally, I got the laptop lient backups to work automatically at night, while laptops in sleep mode and lid shut.

and for the test with lid open -> the laptops did not backup then either.

So I never did figure out how to get laptops to backup via WHS 2011.  The laptops are configured to sleep when lid shut and they are connected to power cable all night.  They are ONLY connected wirelessly, no direct ethernet connection.  I have disabled hibernate via powercfg.exe -H OFF -> but I don't think that matters.

When I had just WHS 2011 installed, the laptops would never backup automatically.  If the laptops were awake, I could manually initiate a backup from WHS 2011 and it would work.    If the laptops were in sleep or standby mode, I could not initiate a backup from WHS 2011.  Also, the laptops would NEVER get backed up automatically via WHS 2011 overnight.   I flailed at this for a couple weeks, learning Event Logs, Task Scheduler, Wake Timers, ACPI, powercfg.exe etc.

When I installed Lights Out, 1.5.1.1656 -> I configured the backups to start at specific times for the laptops.  And when LIghts Out controls the backups, they work automatically overnight!!!!!!  I see that the laptops are in standby mode and then LIghts Out wakes them up and starts backup.  Finally, 6 weeks after screwing around with this stuff way more than I wanted to.  Not sure why the first time I used LIghts Out it did not work, but with recent install works fine.

Lights Out uses Wake Timers to wake up laptap via Task Scheduler.  It does NOT use WOL commands from server to client.  Not clear how WHS 2011 initiates client backups at night.  But however they do it, it doesn't work for HP Windows 7 Laptops that are connected wirelessly, at least in my experience.

Lights Out is excellent.  Purchased the license, and developer is always posting.  Outstanding work.

Todd

• Marked as answer by brunjest Friday, February 17, 2012 4:50 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 4:48 AM

All replies

• There is no need to connect your laptops via ethernet after the initial backup - they should back up fine by wireless. Did you select "Wake up this computer for backups" when you set them up initially?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:05 PM
  • It's possible that your laptops take some time to establish a network connection via wireless, and the backup "times out" while this is going on. It's also possible that you have them set to not wake for backup, or that they are operating on battery when they would normally backup. Either would prevent a backup from occurring.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:03 PM
  • Yesterday I made changes in Device Manager on laptop.  The network card had an option "Allow this device to wake computer" and was not checked.  I checked that rebooted and connected to power cord and let it go for the night.

I checked today, and WHS 2011 did NOT do a daily backup for last night for the laptop.

But I don't see a failure either.  Last successful backup was automated and was from 1/16 , nothing since then.

Note that I confirmed the Client Backup Options are default, i.e between 12:00 AM and 6:00 AM

Other than Dashboard, is there another location to see what happened last night during client backups???

Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:04 AM
  • The laptop wakes itself up for backups so "Allow this device to wake computer" will make no difference. As questioned above:

" Did you select "Wake up this computer for backups" when you set them up initially?"

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:50 AM
  • You can simulate (sort of) an automatic backup as follows:

On your laptop, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Task Scheduler. Then in the left pane expand Library, then Microsoft, then Windows and select Windows Server. In the top of the middle pane select Backup, right click on it and select Run. Now see what happens.

Luc.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:18 AM
  • I have confirmed I have   "Wake up this computer for backups" selected.  Thanks for the suggestion to confirm that.

Last night, the laptop was connected via power cable, but with lid down, and the automated backup did not execute, but I did a manual backup and worked fine.

For some reason, whatever schedules the backup to start on the Windows 7 Laptop, is not starting.

Not sure where to look on laptop for errors or configuration??

I will do what LucTh suggests later tonight.  

Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:28 PM
  • The task that you see in Task Scheduler will show the normal conditions under which it runs under the "Triggers" tab - you should see Trigger - "Daily"  Details - "Scheduled Run Time & "Enabled".

Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:33 AM
  • What happens if you put the laptop in hibernation/sleep mode, but leave the lid open?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Note that over the past few nights. The backups have not been kicked off on the laptops. I also installed Lights Out and that has some excellent logging but seems to override the WHS 2011 tasks on the client side. 

Specifically, with Phil's note I see the tasks in the Windows Server Backup Task Task Scheduler now.  That helps.  And I ran the Task on the client.  It said it was running, and then it completed, no errors that I could see, but the WHS 2011 Dashboard never got updated with info that a backup was ran.  And note that if the client laptop is ON and I request a backup from the WHS 2011 dashboard, it works AND I see a log in the dashboard. 

So it sure seems like if the laptops are left on, but with the time set to go to sleep mode and the lids are shut, then neither WHS 2011 nor Lights Out wake up the laptop to do the backup.

I will run this test tonight and let you know later about leaving the lid open.

Also, I found out that the wireless cards are wireless N but not 5GHZ or Dual Band capable.  I was going to order $40 Intel wireless N cards from HP that are dual band.  I might get those first and then continue with more testing.

Also, a Vista and a WIndows 7 desktops work fine.

I did try HP again and they referred me to http://windows7-issues.blogspot.com/2011/03/wake-on-lan-wol-for-windows-7-made-easy.html

and was not able to help, I probably did not ask the right questions at the time.  I think the question is, if the lid is down and the laptop goes to sleep, is that S3 or S4 or S5 and depending on which one it is, can a Task in the Task Scheduler wake up the laptop??

With these questions, AND with the other blogs about the restore time for specific files of days AND with my previous experience with Live One Care Backup and a restore that also took forever and I ultimately gave up and was glad I had a SyncToy version of the crashed desktop,

A second question I have, is how do you guys rely on this??  do you test a restore and if so, how would one do that without flattening an existing pc??   Will it really work when I need it?

Todd
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:19 AM
  • Thank you to other posters.  Not sure what was wrong,  but finally, I got the laptop lient backups to work automatically at night, while laptops in sleep mode and lid shut.

and for the test with lid open -> the laptops did not backup then either.

So I never did figure out how to get laptops to backup via WHS 2011.  The laptops are configured to sleep when lid shut and they are connected to power cable all night.  They are ONLY connected wirelessly, no direct ethernet connection.  I have disabled hibernate via powercfg.exe -H OFF -> but I don't think that matters.

When I had just WHS 2011 installed, the laptops would never backup automatically.  If the laptops were awake, I could manually initiate a backup from WHS 2011 and it would work.    If the laptops were in sleep or standby mode, I could not initiate a backup from WHS 2011.  Also, the laptops would NEVER get backed up automatically via WHS 2011 overnight.   I flailed at this for a couple weeks, learning Event Logs, Task Scheduler, Wake Timers, ACPI, powercfg.exe etc.

When I installed Lights Out, 1.5.1.1656 -> I configured the backups to start at specific times for the laptops.  And when LIghts Out controls the backups, they work automatically overnight!!!!!!  I see that the laptops are in standby mode and then LIghts Out wakes them up and starts backup.  Finally, 6 weeks after screwing around with this stuff way more than I wanted to.  Not sure why the first time I used LIghts Out it did not work, but with recent install works fine.

Lights Out uses Wake Timers to wake up laptap via Task Scheduler.  It does NOT use WOL commands from server to client.  Not clear how WHS 2011 initiates client backups at night.  But however they do it, it doesn't work for HP Windows 7 Laptops that are connected wirelessly, at least in my experience.

Lights Out is excellent.  Purchased the license, and developer is always posting.  Outstanding work.

Todd

• Marked as answer by brunjest Friday, February 17, 2012 4:50 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 4:48 AM
  • Did you check your power plan settings, and make sure that the power plan allows for wake timers? 

I agree that Lights Out is a good product, but for what it's worth, I have several Windows 7 laptops and slates (Dell, Toshiba, HP, and Asus) that connect to the network via wireless and all of them wake for backup using stock WHS 2011, Lights Out client not installed.

Monday, February 20, 2012 12:36 AM
  • I have found a solution to this problem although it is rather ineligant.

I am running a laptop with W7 64 bit.

I find that if I restart and leave it with the lid opena at the logon screen it backs up fine.

If I logon and open some programs such as Outlook etc I find that backup usually fails.

The error codes explains that a disc image failed to complete.

I hope this helps!

Michael

Regards, Michael Pritchard

Sunday, March 4, 2012 12:51 PM