Windows 7 vs. Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running Windows XP along with Internet Exployer8. I am not having any problems, but as with all of us looking for upgrades and improvements. Which is better to run with IE8? Windows XP or Windows 7?

Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:45 PM

Answers

• IE8 on Windows 7 offers specific improvements that take advantage of platform features such as integrity levels to offer e.g. Protected Mode IE, which can result in a more secure browsing experience.  Windows 7 offers a lot of other nice features and improvements as well.

If you're not having any problems and are happy with your current setup, though, I don't see any reason to change.  When you get a new computer, it will likely come with Windows 7 (or whatever version of Windows is available at that time) and you can upgrade then.  If you're interested in the latest offerings, you can certainly upgrade if your hardware and software will support it.  It's largely a personal decision, if you care about it enough.  Before flat-out upgrading, perhaps try to spend some time with Windows 7 on another computer such as a computer a friend owns or even a computer in a computer sales shop.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:58 PM

All replies

• IE8 on Windows 7 offers specific improvements that take advantage of platform features such as integrity levels to offer e.g. Protected Mode IE, which can result in a more secure browsing experience.  Windows 7 offers a lot of other nice features and improvements as well.

If you're not having any problems and are happy with your current setup, though, I don't see any reason to change.  When you get a new computer, it will likely come with Windows 7 (or whatever version of Windows is available at that time) and you can upgrade then.  If you're interested in the latest offerings, you can certainly upgrade if your hardware and software will support it.  It's largely a personal decision, if you care about it enough.  Before flat-out upgrading, perhaps try to spend some time with Windows 7 on another computer such as a computer a friend owns or even a computer in a computer sales shop.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:58 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:33 PM