none
No longer able to Upvote helpful posts when the post is the answer RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed today when I was going through marking helpful votes that you are no longer able to upvote a post if it has been marked as answer(and was the only reply)!

I noticed in threads with more than one reply, then the answer is shown at the top, and also shown in its chronological location. Well with threads that have single replys, and that single reply was marked as the answer, the helpful vote feature is missing alltogether!

Here is an example:

This thread has multiple replies, therefore you can upvote helpful in the answers chronological location:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvb/thread/8a260879-6204-47ed-8a66-c237e1231060/#20bb8df2-2d16-4bba-a98d-82386b9c25e0

This thread has a single reply, therefore the helpful count and upvote button is missing alltogether.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/432efdd5-88bf-4e78-9bff-5d6a72b16504

Please let me know if you see the same thing when you visit these links.

;)

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles
    *This post does not reflect the opinion of Microsoft, or its employees.

• Edited by Paul Ishak Friday, January 18, 2013 10:52 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 6:35 AM

Answers

• Was this a plot for us to vote your answers as helpful? =^)

Just kidding. This is a known issue, part of the issues of the button not working sometimes, not showing other times.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:46 AM

• What I've been seeing, (in agreement with Paul's report), I think it's 100% consistent, Ed.

You can try this simple experiment.  Filter All Threads on Answered.  Then search the right column for only those threads with 1 single reply.

Open up any 1-reply Answered thread you find.

The All Replies section will be absent.

Only the Answer post will be visible.  The problem is, it has no Vote box or Reply button.

This happens when My Settings is set to Flat List View and Always Show Answers First.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:16 AM

All replies

• Propably this is because of the Visual Studio version of the forum. In TechNet it still works voting the posts as helpful, even if it is an answer.

I didn't find a thread with a single reply-answer yet.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:14 AM
  • Here's an example with TechNet. It really doesn't work anymore. It's a bug:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnsandbox/thread/9e5468f7-185d-4758-bc71-3ab859b2c271

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:46 AM
  • Isee the Voting option in both your threads, Paul

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Friday, January 18, 2013 12:44 PM
    Answerer
  • Isee the Voting option in both your threads, Paul

Noel thank you for the response. I suppose the reason for this bug has to do something with which user is viewing the thread then. There is definitely a problem, here is another link to a thread that has a single reply that was marked as answer, and that is missing the upvote feature:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/4968138d-23af-435c-8c65-3d75d70b315c

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles

Friday, January 18, 2013 12:53 PM
  • Yes it must be something with the users. The link I posted is also viewable in MSDN format. I still can not see the vote as helpful button there.

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:08 PM
  • That one looks normal to me as well - using IE10 on Win7

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:09 PM
    Answerer

Hmm Chrome here, I'm using en-US forums, are your language settings the same? Maybe language specific? You did see the absence of the the vote button in the screenshot I posted, right?

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:10 PM
  • I'm using IE9.

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:15 PM

Ok, I see the button in explorer too.

I can also see it in FireFox.

So that narrows the problem down to Google chrome.

• Edited by Paul Ishak Friday, January 18, 2013 1:15 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 1:15 PM
  • I see the Vote box in both IE10 and Chrome(v24)

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:40 PM
    Answerer
  • I see the Vote box in both IE10 and Chrome(v24)

Chrome(Version 24.0.1312.52 m) here

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:43 PM
  • In this thread with one reply, marked as answer, there is no button to vote as helpful:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/0522e7c8-642e-4170-a918-12924aaba98a

However, in this similar thread (same forum) with one reply, marked as answer, there is a button:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/83a6e4d8-9441-4191-b0af-8a845cd457e8

Unfortunately, in the second example I cannot tell who marked the answer (I can tell in the first thread I linked). My guess is that perhaps the person that provided the reply also marked it as the answer. Just a guess. Or maybe the date when the reply was marked matters.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Here's an example with TechNet. It really doesn't work anymore. It's a bug:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnsandbox/thread/9e5468f7-185d-4758-bc71-3ab859b2c271

I think it's a new implementation of the Answer post, which is raised to the top.

The actual post, beneath in the sequence, it still has the usual fields.

However, I do see a bug.

In the case of my other (banned) profile, the concealment of those posts somehow corrupted the view.

The original reply fails to appear, as revealed below by toggling the Threaded List View.

Regards from the netherworld.

• Proposed as answer by Elmar Boye Friday, January 18, 2013 9:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Paul Ishak Friday, January 18, 2013 10:50 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 6:29 PM
  • You're tricky :) I voted your post without a problem. I guess you need to vote mine now in return.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Friday, January 18, 2013 9:35 PM
  • This one doesn't make sense at all - I think it should been deleted. It doesn't have a real question - it's a test.

My blog

Friday, January 18, 2013 9:37 PM
  • I don't have the same problem, so it was either already fixed or there is something else.

I voted that reply as helpful (first thread) without a problem. I am using Google Chrome.

My blog

Friday, January 18, 2013 9:39 PM
  • Naomi, now when I view the first thread I linked earlier, I can see who marked the (only) reply as the answer. And I can see it is marked helpful. But, now when I view the second thread I no longer can see who marked the reply as the answer. And, there is no "Vote as helpful" button. I'm sure I have the threads straight (I know the people involved). Previously the thread with no "Vote as helpful" was the older one, now (for me) it is the newer one. Really strange.

Friday, January 18, 2013 10:44 PM
  • Naomi, now when I view the first thread I linked earlier, I can see who marked the (only) reply as the answer. And I can see it is marked helpful. But, now when I view the second thread I no longer can see who marked the reply as the answer. And, there is no "Vote as helpful" button. I'm sure I have the threads straight (I know the people involved). Previously the thread with no "Vote as helpful" was the older one, now (for me) it is the newer one. Really strange.

I think this problem may have other factors where some users may or may not experience it depending on forum settings/cookies <unknown to me>. Either way, I know there will be ways to work around this error, and this error may not occur for everyone, but I still feel that it is an error that could potentially lessen the forum experience for users. I think the forum generates a section that says "All Replies" when there is more than one reply and one of them was marked answer, and for some users, when this section is not generated, then the helpful button is not generated either. I hope the forum developers can identify the cause and fix it! I would hate to think that some threads may not be voteable by future viewers!!!

Friday, January 18, 2013 10:49 PM
  • I think this problem may have other factors where some users may or may not experience it depending on forum settings/cookies <unknown to me>. Either way, I know there will be ways to work around this error, and this error may not occur for everyone, but I still feel that it is an error that could potentially lessen the forum experience for users. I think the forum generates a section that says "All Replies" when there is more than one reply and one of them was marked answer, and for some users, when this section is not generated, then the helpful button is not generated either. I hope the forum developers can identify the cause and fix it! I would hate to think that some threads may not be voteable by future viewers!!!

Here's what I'm seeing.  I think it's consistent.

If

• My Settings options are set as illustrated, Flat View and Show Answer First
    • and there is only one Reply
    • and that reply is marked Answer

then the All Replies section is absent.

Also, that elevated Show Answers First post doesn't show the Vote Helpful field (or other fields).

But the original post marked answer (below, among the replies, when visible) does.

Check your (My)Settings to see if it's random or consistent.

Set as shown above, does anybody have an example of a single Reply=Answer thread that displays the All Replies section?

OT - That test thread was submitted via IE8, to check this thread:  Unable to Ask a Question on forums using IE8 on Windows 7

OT - Perhaps Naom didn't notice it is in the Technet Sandbox forum.

Friday, January 18, 2013 11:38 PM
  • Max,

It is good to confirm that I am not the only one to receive this error.

Thank you

Friday, January 18, 2013 11:46 PM
  • You're tricky :) I voted your post without a problem. I guess you need to vote mine now in return.

My blog

Lol Naomi, shhhhh Don't tell anyone. Just kidding that was not my intention.

Friday, January 18, 2013 11:49 PM
  • Was this a plot for us to vote your answers as helpful? =^)

Just kidding. This is a known issue, part of the issues of the button not working sometimes, not showing other times.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:46 AM
  • If the forum is locked, then it's impossible to vote. I had this situation relatively recently when I found a good C# thread in Google Search and was unable to vote helpful votes or propose answers.

I don't think this is the case here, but just want to let you know about one possibility.

My blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:34 AM