none
Do SOMETHING to keep the spammers out RRS feed

• Question

• Ideas -

• Disallow posting more than X posts/day, based on reputation points (small X - maybe 10?)
    • Disallow posting more than 1 post/minute
    • Rather than returning an error for disallowed post, simply swallow it and let the poster think it was successful
    There's got to be SOMETHING that can be done without inconveniencing the legitimate users of the forums (too badly).

-cd Mark the best replies as answers!
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Carl,

Thank you for the post. We already have an alert system in place in which we get an alert for every member for posting more number of post in a particular spam of time. Then, we analyse the posts and based on that we ban the user, delete their threads and mark their profiles as inappropiate. 

Thanks!

Ashawani 

Ashawani Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Proposed as answer by ashawani_dubey Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:40 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:40 AM
  • That's a good first step, but from out here in the trenches, it doesn't seem to be enough.  These people that are mass-posting as an SEO technique, for example, get benefit out of their activities if their posts remain up for more than a few hours.  From my observation, most of these mass-postings remain up for a couple days - usually until someone in the community escalates the matter.

I'm not sure how most people react, but when I find spam postings mid-thread on a dsicussion site, that immediately colors my impression of the site disfavorably.  Despite all the efforts, the spam level on these forums has escalated in the last few months - more needs to be done to keep up the high standard of relevancy that these forums currently have.

-cd Mark the best replies as answers!
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Yes, there is a lot we want to do around spam, similar to some of the proposals above. We are currently working on functional bugs and performance, but spam is right there in terms of priorities. 

I think the themes for solving the problem revolve around empowering the community to be able to do more while also making it harder/less profitable for spammers to spend the time required to take advantage of the system. So rest assured, this is important. I can't give any timelines yet as to when to expect changes etc, but they are near the top of our priority list after we get perf and stability more under controls. We also want to finally address our spotty search coverage as one of our top priorities.

I would love to channel this feedback into MS Connect so the community could help tell us what's more important. I hope to do that next month, when I do I'll reply back. Thanks for the post!

Community Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:24 PM