HARDWARE FOR BUILDING A WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I want to build a WHS, using fast and powerful hardware. I do not want to spare expense at cost of speed and efficiency of the server. I now have EX470, and am very disapponted with performance.

WHS i want to build should be responsive to other computers, remote access and Dennon receiver to play music and videos.

I would appreciate any input regarding, motherboard, memory, processor, drive bay and anything else.

janak desai

magnificentgems@live.com

908-723-0792

janak desai
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:04 AM

Answers

• From my experience, I build one WHS and found it worked ok. It was an Intel E2160 with 2 GB ram DDR2. Since a couple weeks ago I bought the HP EX470, increased the memory to 2 GB and I don't find it less responsive than the one I built myself. I stream videos, music, recorded TV, and ripped DVD's without any issue. Streaming is smooth. My homebrew was slow copying, moving files even with gigabit and the same with EX470. I have a couple of add-ins installed on it and I'm very satisfied with it.

Klode
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:42 AM

All replies

• I want to build a WHS, using fast and powerful hardware. I do not want to spare expense at cost of speed and efficiency of the server. I now have EX470, and am very disapponted with performance.

The biggest problem with the 470/475 is the RAM (512 MB is not enough).  If you upgrade that to 2 GB (or purchase the new 485/487), you would probably find a much better user experience.

WHS i want to build should be responsive to other computers, remote access and Dennon receiver to play music and videos.

My current production server is an AMD Dual Core 3800+ with 2 GB of RAM.  I can stream files (including 720p wmv files) to my XBox 360 (wireless connection) and it works fine.

I would appreciate any input regarding, motherboard, memory, processor, drive bay and anything else.

The server doesn't really need that much as long as you aren't installing a ton of add-ins/apps on it.

janak desai

magnificentgems@live.com

908-723-0792

janak desai

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:21 AM
  • From my experience, I build one WHS and found it worked ok. It was an Intel E2160 with 2 GB ram DDR2. Since a couple weeks ago I bought the HP EX470, increased the memory to 2 GB and I don't find it less responsive than the one I built myself. I stream videos, music, recorded TV, and ripped DVD's without any issue. Streaming is smooth. My homebrew was slow copying, moving files even with gigabit and the same with EX470. I have a couple of add-ins installed on it and I'm very satisfied with it.

Klode
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:42 AM