temporarily disconnect pooled hard drive? RRS feed

• Question

• The MB in my newly built WHS only has one IDE connector (and a bunch of SATA connectors). Hey, the price was right . I have two IDE drives and a DVD drive to go into this system initially. I can connect the DVD and one HD for the install. Once running I could add the second HD in place of the DVD. My question comes down to what happens in the future when I need to use the DVD again?

If the drive isn't part of the pool (ie is seen as a separate drive on the server) there shouldn't be a problem temporarily disconnecting the non-boot drive. Can WHS utilize non-pooled as well as pooled drives or does WHS strictly work with D: only?

If I pool both drives can I safely disconnect the second drive for system maintenance like upgrading from eval version to OEM version? I'm guessing not.

I do have a PCI IDE card that the second drive could go on but so far I've not gotten the BIOS or WHS to recognize the drive on it. I only started this last night so I haven't put much effort into getting working yet. If I do get it working then my above question is moot.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As you say, non-pooled drives can be added/removed with impunity. However, as far as WHS is concerned, they are outside it's influence, it can't utilise the space itself, but, when the Power Pack is released, you would be able to use it as a storage space for your duplication of the backups.

If you disconnect a pooled drive, WHS will complain about a lost drive and if your 'upgrading' as you say, wouldn't really be a good idea, as trying to do what in effect is a re-install, while WHS 'thinks' it has corruption/data issues, might well lead to problems.

If you can't get the IDE card utilised, maybe a safer option, would be to re-build the server using just the one IDE drive, and then re-add the unused IDE drive to the storage pool.

Colin 

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:31 PM
  • I would just skip the IDE drive(s) entirely. Use your IDE channel for your DVD-ROM drive, and your SATA channels for your storage drives.

You will be unable to upgrade from the evaluation version to OEM if you remove a drive that's part of the storage pool. Windows Home server does a number of checks to determine whether it can do a reinstallation; one of those checks is to make sure that every drive in the storage pool is present (except D:, since that drive could be missing if you're replacing a failed system drive).
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:58 PM
  • I hate to throw out two perfectly good drives. So far though, the MB connected IDE drive is working fine. I haven't been able to get the PCI drive recognized. I may have to dump that I buy at least one SATA drive for now.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Just by a cheap IDE PCI card. I have a bunch of IDE drives connected this way no problem.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:12 AM
  • I do have a PCI IDE card that's not recognized during the install. I can supply it the drivers on a USB flash drive and the install is happy until the first reboot when it can't find one or more of the files.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:09 AM
  • Jerry, it sounds like you need to supply drivers for setup to recognize your system drive. In that situation, you must supply drivers twice. The first time is during that initial graphical setup phase, where you're already using the USB flash drive. However, at the "Press F6" prompt I have never managed to get anything but a floppy, with drivers placed on it properly, to work. You might want to give that a try.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:35 AM
  • I tried the F6 prompt but never got it to stop at that point to try to load from the USB or anywhere else. I don't have a floppy drive in the system. But I suspect that USB isn't working at that point anyway.

Since this is still the eval version I've got a few months to decide what to do.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:55 AM
  • Hmm you say you have one IDE connector... but does it not provide an primary and a secondary connection?
    Never seen one that hasn't. If you did have two connectors, it would solve your issue. Install the system on the motherboard's IDE and then load the PCI card drivers after the OS is installed.

I guess your other choice is to get an SATA burner. Fairly cheap these days, but I know you're probably don't want to spend more money than you have to. I certainly don't.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Jerry, drivers loaded at the "Press F6" prompt will only load from floppy. This is a limitation of the Windows Server 2003 installation, unfortunately. I believe the way WHS deals with drivers loaded from USB flash drive in the initial graphical setup is to store them on the (soon to be) system disk. If you have a system disk that requires a driver to access it, obviously that driver won't be available when the PC reboots the first time.
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:20 AM
  •  Evaders99 wrote:
    Hmm you say you have one IDE connector... but does it not provide an primary and a secondary connection?
    Never seen one that hasn't. If you did have two connectors, it would solve your issue. Install the system on the motherboard's IDE and then load the PCI card drivers after the OS is installed.

Yes it provides two ports: one for the DVD drive and one for the system drive. That's why I'm using the PCI card for the second IDE drive. And I have to be careful about adding the PCI connected drive to the pool as all pooled drives have to be present when I do the reinstall to move to the OEM version. And that drive won't be present if I can't load the drivers until after the install.

I see two ways to go:
    - buy a floppy drive and move the drivers to a floppy. That way I can always load the drivers during  (re)install.
    - hold off on adding the PCI drive to the pool until after the reinstall or remove the drive from the pool prior to the reinstall. This, of course, allows the slim possibility that the pool may be too full to allow removal when I'm ready to install.
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 5:02 AM