none
Reinstalling Windows On a New PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I currently have a Windows XP Home Eddition CD that came with my old dell PC. Since I do not use the old pc anymore, I wanted to install that Windows XP Home on the new PC. When I did that, it said I have 30 days to register or validate it(not sure what was the exact message). But when I Install it on the old PC, it doesn't ask for anything. Does this mean that the Windows CD that came with the first computer is registered somewhere in the BIOS of the old PC and I cant use it on any other computer? I contacted dell about it but they said I just have to buy a new Windows CD and that is a crazy waste of a few hundred dollards if I already have a licenced cd, just want to install it on a different dell.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:23 AM

Answers

• Dell customizes an OEM Windows XP CD so that it will only install and activate on a Dell motherboard having a specific Dell BIOS.  It is intended to work only with the original Dell computer it shipped with.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:22 PM

All replies

• A Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD can only be used on a Dell PC.  The license is BIOS-locked to a Dell motherboard BIOS and therefore cannot be activated on a non-Dell PC.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:30 PM
  • The new computer is also a dell pc but 4 years newer and a different bios most liketly.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:16 PM
  • Dell customizes an OEM Windows XP CD so that it will only install and activate on a Dell motherboard having a specific Dell BIOS.  It is intended to work only with the original Dell computer it shipped with.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:22 PM