none
VS 2010 Deploy doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to deploy asp.net applications to a remote web server.  This is a new server.  I have installed front page extensions, and enabled everything.

My structure is as follows:  I have a staging directory where I deploy to.  Each application is a sub-sirectory under staging.  So, when I deploy, it looks like tthis:  http://staging.xxx.com/AppName

I have a mixture of web projects, and web applications.  I think this is a holdover from VS 2003 or 2005.  The projects that are Web Application projects have a different publish dislog that those are were created as web projects.  I am not sure I am using the correct terminiolofy here.

The projects that are Web Projects work.   When I publish them, I get the "Publish Profile/Publish Web" dialog, that allows me to choose the deployment method, etc.  This one works.

The other Web Site projects give me a "Publis Web Site" dialog.  Here I click the elipse button,m and the select Remote Web Site.  Then I enter the name of the site (mentioned above), and click Create Web Site.  It thinks for a moment or two, and then returns (appears to work).  Then when I proceed to deploy, I get the following error:

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. Error 1 D:\Projects\Marketing Sites\ItemTrackingSoftware.com\Backup\ItemTrackingSoftware\Web.config 7 

I do not understand this error.  I am trying to deply remotely, not to my local drive.  I tried creating the virtual directory on my loacal m,achine to overcome this, but it didn't help.

This has worked in the past. I had to rebuild my server, and since doing so, I can;t get it to work.

The site was created by the flow above.  It appears as a virtual directory site underneath my staging site.  It appears to be consigured as an application, however the name is blank.  If I enter a site name, not difference.

I tried removing and creating the application, but this makes no difference.

I don't know if this problem has anything to do with teh "project style" or not.  In older version, there user to ve conversion options, but I don;t see them anymore.

OI also tries doing a copy site to the remote site.  This appears to work, however it copies my source code which I do not want.

• Moved by Figo Fei Friday, September 17, 2010 3:37 AM (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

For ASP.NET and web development questions, you may use forums.asp.net for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Figo Fei
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 3:36 AM