Can we install HD video player on WHS and output directly video from video card? RRS feed

• Question

•  Talked with a freind about my concern that some desktop motherboard may can't fully support WHS due to lack of Win Server 2003 driver, he recommnded an entry level server motherboard -- Tyan S5220 AG2NR which has one PCIE 16X slot can fully support lot of latest HD video card, and cost around $200 which isn't too much more than a main steam desktop motherboard,  therefore I like to use WHS directly output HD video/audio to TV set/audio receiver, but don't know whether WHS can support 3rd party player? If it's possible, we may not need HTPC any more.

Thanks for help!

G
    Friday, September 5, 2008 1:32 AM

Answers

• Guillaume, the recommended way to integrate Windows Home Server into your home media plans is a "two box" solution. You would use your HTPC for what it's best at, and use Windows Home Server as additional network storage for the HTPC. By itself, Windows Home Server isn't able to act as a HTPC; while you may be able to install software on it that would let it work that way, the only supported access method for it is through the WHS console. Remote Desktop or direct connection through physically connected keyboard, monitor and mouse are possible, but potentially risky and therefore unsupported.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 5, 2008 2:10 AM
  • As far as I know, the audio is disabled in WHS. Thus you cannot use it as an HTPC. Maybe this has changed, though I haven't really heard of anything either way
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:15 AM

All replies

• Guillaume, the recommended way to integrate Windows Home Server into your home media plans is a "two box" solution. You would use your HTPC for what it's best at, and use Windows Home Server as additional network storage for the HTPC. By itself, Windows Home Server isn't able to act as a HTPC; while you may be able to install software on it that would let it work that way, the only supported access method for it is through the WHS console. Remote Desktop or direct connection through physically connected keyboard, monitor and mouse are possible, but potentially risky and therefore unsupported.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 5, 2008 2:10 AM
  • As far as I know, the audio is disabled in WHS. Thus you cannot use it as an HTPC. Maybe this has changed, though I haven't really heard of anything either way
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:15 AM
  • Ken and Evaders99,

Thanks for help! understand clearly now, and seems use the server motherboard is over kill, but should be more reliable.

Have a nice week end!

G
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:28 AM