Using a San-Digital TR4M with a HP EX485 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to find someone who has configured a SAN-Digital TR4M Storage device with a HP EX485 via the eSata port on the back? My configuration consists of the following:

EX485 with 4 Seagate 1.5 TB drives
    San Digital TR4M with 4 more Seagate 1.5 TB drives.

I am running out of room on my WHS box and wanted to add additional storage via the San Digital TR4M but when I plug it in, WHS only see's one drive. I have not configured the TR4M yet via included software thinking that maybe WHS server might just see the drives out of the box but no luck. I am not sure how I should configure the TR4M i.e. RAID or JBOD etc. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:51 PM

Answers

• Thanks again Klode. I will take a look at the thread and see if maybe Stanley can provide any insight. I think you might be right though. I may have to buy the USB version.
    • Marked as answer by Thomas Duzy Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:58 PM
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:57 PM

All replies

• I believe you're out of luck. E-sata port on EX485 is not design like the older EX47x series. On the older series, the e-sata port included a port multiplicator which allowed you to install the TR4M e-sata, but not on EX48x series anymore. Do some googling and you'll find the same answer.

Klode
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Thanks Klode, I did find that answer but for some reason I thought I had read about someone using the TR4M with WHS once it was configured on a seperate machine and then re-attached to the ex485. For the life of me I can't locate the string.

Any other ideas on how I can add additional storage to my EX485 without connecting via mutple USB ports?
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 12:08 AM
  • You can follow this thread: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2389, there is Stanley who is working for Sans Digital which can give you good advices on how to solve your problems. I believe your best bet is to go with TR4M but USB. Try to sell your e-sata and buy usb.

Klode
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Thanks again Klode. I will take a look at the thread and see if maybe Stanley can provide any insight. I think you might be right though. I may have to buy the USB version.
    • Marked as answer by Thomas Duzy Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:58 PM
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:57 PM