none
Error voting on the same post twice RRS feed

• Question

• A post marked as an answer appears twice. Each instance has a voting widget. Voting on the two widgets results in an unexpected error.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:37 PM

Answers

• You should get an error, you can't up-vote the same answer twice.  Well, a better error.  That this is possible at all, because the post is repeated, is perhaps the real bug.  It just wasn't really thought through.  There have been many threads about this already, the My Settings option is the only known workaround.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:38 PM

All replies

• Click on My Settings and turn off Always Show Answers First.

Hans Passant.
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, August 21, 2009 4:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bruno Martinez Friday, August 21, 2009 12:17 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:37 AM
  • Also, after voting (since you have this setting on "Always Show Answers First On Thread Page"), refresh the page. Once you refresh, you should not be allowed to vote again.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Sorry, I wasn't clear. The bug is not that the post is repeated.

Let me put an example. I have a question with one reply, which appears twice because it is marked as answer.  I vote up the first copy of the reply and the screen is updated to show one vote.  However, the second copy of the reply still shows only one vote. Then I vote up the second copy of the reply, and get an error message.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:27 PM
  • You should get an error, you can't up-vote the same answer twice.  Well, a better error.  That this is possible at all, because the post is repeated, is perhaps the real bug.  It just wasn't really thought through.  There have been many threads about this already, the My Settings option is the only known workaround.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:38 PM