Restore cd doesn't find network controller RRS feed

• Question

• Tried to restore a client yesterday, without success.  Popped in the Restore CD, it booted okay and got to the spot where it loads drivers for the specific system.  My (onboard) network controller isn't even listed as a device that WHS is trying to load a driver for.  It finds the storage drivers and the like on my USB drive fine, but no Ethernet -- which makes restoring from the server a challenge.

The client motherboard is an ASUS P5Q Pro.  I'm running Vista x64.  Is it possible that I should download a driver from ASUS and put it in the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder?

More generally, I'd like to make a Restore CD with the drivers for all my systems already on the CD, so I don't have to fuss with a USB drive.  Is this possible?
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:04 PM

Answers

• Don,

I'd certainly try downloading the appropriate drivers from ASUS and trying again as it's possible for the boot environment to miss some.

There is no easy way - as of yet - for slipstreaming drivers, but I'm sure either it will come, or maybe a 'personalised' version of the restore CD for each Client.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by Don3580 Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:30 PM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:00 PM
  • The Restore CD environment is 32 bit, so you will need a driver that will work in a 32 bit environment. Some network drivers are able to work in either 32 or 64 bit environments, but in this case, probably not. That means you will need to download the 32 bit Vista driver from the manufacturer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:15 PM

All replies

• Don,

I'd certainly try downloading the appropriate drivers from ASUS and trying again as it's possible for the boot environment to miss some.

There is no easy way - as of yet - for slipstreaming drivers, but I'm sure either it will come, or maybe a 'personalised' version of the restore CD for each Client.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by Don3580 Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:30 PM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:00 PM
  • The Restore CD environment is 32 bit, so you will need a driver that will work in a 32 bit environment. Some network drivers are able to work in either 32 or 64 bit environments, but in this case, probably not. That means you will need to download the 32 bit Vista driver from the manufacturer.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Update:  I downloaded the XP/2003 32 bit driver from ASUS and stuck it on the thumb drive.  The restore CD loaded the driver and found the server.  Thanks so much for your help.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Don,
    I am having a problem similar to yours.  Could you explain in a little more detail what you did to "stick iton the thumb drive"?  The folder names on the thumb drive (I actually use a floppy instead of a USB drive) are not too intuitive such as

A:\Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore\{D453ECC0-6806-4781-BD1C-454C203F39E9}  for the NIC drivers

Stephen

Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Stephen, the Windows Home Server Restore CD will search the entire thumb drive for drivers, so you could put them in a folder named for your favorite cartoon character if you so desired. :)
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:39 PM
  • There are a bunch of subfolders in my Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder.  I had copied the whole folder onto the thumb drive previously.  I downloaded the right driver folder from the ASUS site; that folder contained an inf and a sys.  Made that folder into a subfolder of the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder, and that was it.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:42 PM