none
I want to UPGRADE 2 of my storage pool drives to larger capacity - Best Practice? - Update: BSOD trying to remove drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have my WHS running with the following drives: 1 x 250GB "Primary" drive (System), 3 x 1TB Storage Drives (one internal, 2 external connected via eSATA)

I'm pretty near full capacity and have had to turn off duplication on a few media folders.  I currently have 282GB "FREE SPACE" and 919GB in "DUPLICATION". I've purchased 2 new 2TB drives to replace the 2 (external/eSATA) 1TB drives.

After poking around the posts - seems like the below steps are the way to approach this?  Looking for any recommendations or best practices to make this go as smoothly (and risk free) as possible!

1)  I would need to shutoff the duplication for (almost) ALL folders - thus theoretically giving me (at least) 1 TB of "FREE SPACE"

2)  Then select one of the 1TB drives in the SERVER STORAGE TAB and "REMOVE" it.  WHS would then clean up the disk making sure the files are stored elsewhere and then let me physically remove it.

3)  Shut down WHS and pop in ONE of the 2TB drives and add it to the storage pool (and leave duplication off for now)

4)  I should be able to then select the second 1TB drive and "REMOVE" it and let WHS do it's file moving magic.

5)  Then add the second 2TB drive to the storage pool

6)  Then turn on the FOLDER DUPLICATION again.

Is there any other way to accomplish this without turning off the DUPLICATION?  I've read posts about simply removing the drive and rebooting WHS where it will see the drive as "failed" - but this sounds more risky as far as potentially losing data if all folders are NOT dupliated?  IE: if that drive contains the only version of certain files...they'd be gone.

Thanks for your assistance!

sr

• Edited by Puulima Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:23 AM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:37 PM

All replies

• Add one large drive (even if you need to use a USB to drive bridge device) to the storage pool.
    • Remove one small drive from the storage pool.
    • Shut down and remove the small drive physically.
    • Move the large drive into the case where the small drive was.
    • Lather, rinse, repeat.
    If your large drives are large enough, remove both small drives after connecting the first large drive, then continue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Puulima Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Puulima Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:13 AM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Thanks Ken -If I understand correctly, you're saying to add the new/larger drive first so the data can be moved to that drive vs. shutting off the folder duplication?  I'd have to add the new/larger drive as a USB connection since I have no more eSATA connections.  But won't that take ages for WHS to copy the data onto the new 2TB drive via te USB connection? Or am I missing something here?
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:36 AM
  • It's a one time operation, and it's going to take a long time no matter what you do. :)

My method allows you to proceed without turning off duplication, which means you can maintain protection for your files during the reconfiguration.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:36 AM
  • Gotcha...thanks!
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Can I suggest a perhaps simpler solution? Buy and fit a 2-port eSata card and just add the 2x 2TB eSata drives. Leave all the current drives intact.
    qts
    Friday, May 21, 2010 8:57 AM
  • I thought about that, but ultimately I don't need that much storage on the WHS.  By replacing my two 1 TB drives with 2 TB drives - I'll be set for a good long time so the eSATA card would only be required for the transfer.  While they are not that expensive - I have other tech stuff to spend the $$ on ;-)

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:22 PM
  • A follow up question of related nature:

On the Server Storage Tab in the Console - Two of the three 1TB drives are identified exactly the same "WDC WD10EADS-00LB51".  The third ends in a different set of numbers.  I do know that the 2 external 1 TB drives are the "identical" labelled ones since I had added the third one later (so had 2 identical ones for some time)

In order to know which one to physically disconnect, I had to shut down WHS, remove it and reboot to see which one WHS couldn't find.  Then go through the removal process in WHS. 

I found this Add-In that looks like it will help identify the drives better (plus other features) - has anyone used it?

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/03/04/windows-home-server-disk-management/

Thanks

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:29 PM
  • HELP!

I attached one of the new 2 TB drives via USB, added it to th storage pool, worked fine.  Then selected one of the 1 TB drives and started the REMOVE DRIVE wizard..it told me I had plenty of space so started the process....many hours later it was still running but progressing.  Came back just before going to bed to find the typical splash screen you see when the server has just started - where you press CTRL-ALT-DEL to login.  I thought that was odd, but have never removed a drive before...so logged in.

Once logged on it told me there had been some error and took me to a MS website for a problem resolution - but all that the website told me was there was some error that caused the PC to be shutdown abruptly a BSOD issue.  It recommended I remove any new hardware etc etc.

I started the console and checked the storage tab - the drive selected for removal was still part of the storage pool.  I wasn't able to get onto this site for the past few hours due to the upgrade going on...so decided to try removing again.  It's been going for an hour or so and the green bar is halfway through (seems to be progressing faster than earlier today?) but I have to get some sleep...so will have to check in the am. 

Any ideas what might have happened?  How do I find out what went wrong - there must be a log stored somewhere?  If I wake up to the same situation I'll need to determine the problem and/or a workaround.  I read up on the few similar examples I found elsewhere on the web in the meantime...found nothing very relevant though.

HELP??

Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:22 AM
  • Most likely you had a power outage or bump and the WHS automatically rebooted when power was restored.  If so, the removal should complete. 

--

"Puulima" <=?utf-8?B?UHV1bGltYQ==?=> wrote in message news:8f22ba2f-f9a0-4a61-ab81-e7c49550f7d3...

HELP!

I attached one of the new 2 TB drives via USB, added it to th storage pool, worked fine.  Then selected one of the 1 TB drives and started the REMOVE DRIVE wizard..it told me I had plenty of space so started the process....many hours later it was still running but progressing.  Came back just before going to bed to find the typical splash screen you see when the server has just started - where you press CTRL-ALT-DEL to login.  I thought that was odd, but have never removed a drive before...so logged in.

Once logged on it told me there had been some error and took me to a MS website for a problem resolution - but all that the website told me was there was some error that caused the PC to be shutdown abruptly a BSOD issue.  It recommended I remove any new hardware etc etc.

I started the console and checked the storage tab - the drive selected for removal was still part of the storage pool.  I wasn't able to get onto this site for the past few hours due to the upgrade going on...so decided to try removing again.  It's been going for an hour or so and the green bar is halfway through (seems to be progressing faster than earlier today?) but I have to get some sleep...so will have to check in the am. 

Any ideas what might have happened?  How do I find out what went wrong - there must be a log stored somewhere?  If I wake up to the same situation I'll need to determine the problem and/or a workaround.  I read up on the few similar examples I found elsewhere on the web in the meantime...found nothing very relevant though.

HELP??

BullDawg
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Woke up this morning and was happy to see a message saying the drive had been successfully removed and could now be physically removed.  Just a little leery though.  Before I remove the OTHER 1 TB drive - should I run any tests on all the drives to ensure the data is still ok?

I'm going to run chkdsk on all drives, but not sure that will tell me if any files are corrupt? I'm assuming that's likely not a huge potential problem as power failures etc wouldn't normally mess up data on NTFS formatted drives correct?  The BSOD message is what concerned me.  I have my server and all attached equipment on APC's so protected from power spikes, brownouts etc.  Power didn't go out yesterday and it s/b protected from any brownouts/surges (supposedly).  No other PC's in the house rebooted either.

Any other thoughts?  How else would one check for corrupt files?

thx

Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:26 PM
  • It appears you are taking the correct approach with the chkdsk.  If everything is on UPS, might want to check cooling and power supply.  Also, do a remote desktop connection (or log on if you have monitor and keyboard attached) and then go to

Start
    Programs
    Administrative Tools
    Event Viewer

Check for errors and warnings between the time period of the BSOD and Log On Screen.  There may be some clues there.

--

"Puulima" <=?utf-8?B?UHV1bGltYQ==?=> wrote in message news:427ed7be-458f-47b5-9edd-291f7870de40...

Woke up this morning and was happy to see a message saying the drive had been successfully removed and could now be physically removed.  Just a little leery though.  Before I remove the OTHER 1 TB drive - should I run any tests on all the drives to ensure the data is still ok?

I'm going to run chkdsk on all drives, but not sure that will tell me if any files are corrupt? I'm assuming that's likely not a huge potential problem as power failures etc wouldn't normally mess up data on NTFS formatted drives correct?  The BSOD message is what concerned me.  I have my server and all attached equipment on APC's so protected from power spikes, brownouts etc.  Power didn't go out yesterday and it s/b protected from any brownouts/surges (supposedly).  No other PC's in the house rebooted either.

Any other thoughts?  How else would one check for corrupt files?

thx

BullDawg
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Couldn't find anything that made any sense to me.  There were warnings and errors here and there...but nothing in plain enough english.  Looking back through the lists I see similar errors/warnings so looks like they are "norm" type events?

The second add/remove process went smooth - however when I rebooted after moving the 2nd new 2 TB drive from the USB to eSATA connection, the drive showed up as "unknown" although it recognized the drive, size etc - but it said it was missing?  The system health had a critical status and also said it was missing?  So I rebooted and that issue went away - not sure what that was all about?

I'll monitor it to see...

Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:28 PM