restore whs backup to a new computer RRS feed

• Question

• I had a dell vostro computer in my office go belly up.   Motherboard failure.   Windows XP-Pro.  The hard drive is still good, all data intact.

The previous night's backup is on whs.  I built a new computer with a fresh install of xp pro.  It seems that whs only restores to the original computer.  I thought the whole idea of a complete backup was to be able to restore your programs and data when your computer dies.

How can I restore the whs backup to a new computer?

I have installed the connect software on the new computer.

Jack Pinion
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:03 AM

All replies

• You do not say if you are using the original or WHS2011. Both will completely restore a computer by booting from the WHS Restore disk and following the instructions to recover onto a blank disk. What I don't understand is why if the  original Vostro disk was OK you need to do any restore. Or are you saying you are trying to restore your old installation on a new computer? Not a good idea as all the motherboard drivers etc. will be wrong. Or, are you trying to restore all your old programs and data to a new computer on which you have installed XP? If it's this then no you can't restore your old programs but you can restore all your old data from a server backup using the restore data and files wizard.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:55 AM
  • You can restore to a second disk using clientrestorewizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server folder or directly to the disk of the client by using the WHS Restore CD (download the latest version).

From here you would be able to access your data.

If that disk will be bootable in the new computer, depends from hardware compatibilty to the old one.

Check the FAQ How to solve boot problems after restoring a client disk for mor information.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:28 PM