OneNote and PP1 RRS feed

• Question

• It has long been my intention to make my WHS the "home" of my Microsoft OneNote files, with synchronization to and local copies on all my other computers. My understanding is that in the past this would have put me square in the sights of the data corruption bug, so I haven't tried it.

Is it safe to give this a try now, with PP1 installed? [I know it's a beta, and subject to the usual cautions. What I'm asking is whether the specific problems that made OneNote sync impossible have been addressed.]

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:02 PM

Answers

• There's a problem with OneNote 2007 at the moment that won't let you create a new notebook on a server under certain conditions.  I tried it on my WHS and it came up with the error described.  I haven't got Sharepoint on my server and from the MS Support page wondered if it was a pre-requisite if I wanted to maintain OneNote notebooks on my WHS, but I don't think so.  It should work just as a file server.

See the following links for more details, the second being more helpful than the first.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924137

http://blogs.msdn.com/david_rasmussen/archive/2008/01/16/onenote-2007-sp1-can-t-create-notebooks-on-some-servers.aspx

I've tried the workaround mentioned in the second link so it does work, and you can also move existing notebooks from your local PC to the server.  So you can create it locally, then move it to the server, then open it there from OneNote.

However in the 2nd link above there are still some reports of problems with OneNote on a server, synchronisation issues, etc. though not necessarily using WHS.  So perhaps anybody wanting to try it should tread carefully and take regular backups until it's fixed.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:51 AM
  •  Alpine Pursuits wrote:

http://blogs.msdn.com/david_rasmussen/archive/2008/01/16/onenote-2007-sp1-can-t-create-notebooks-on-some-servers.aspx

I've tried the workaround mentioned in the second link so it does work, and you can also move existing notebooks from your local PC to the server.  So you can create it locally, then move it to the server, then open it there from OneNote.

However in the 2nd link above there are still some reports of problems with OneNote on a server, synchronisation issues, etc. though not necessarily using WHS.  So perhaps anybody wanting to try it should tread carefully and take regular backups until it's fixed.

Informations at 2nd link are working. The problems should be there only if you want to generate a new notebook. Just copy from local to WHS. Till now I do not encounter sync-problems via route WHS. And I did not get in trouble because of file corruption.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:16 AM
  •  

There are documents available on Connect that will guide you through various tests using Power Pack 1. These are designed to test and stress the new technologies included in Power Pack 1. This includes a section about using OneNote.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:37 PM

All replies

• It is, in theory, safe to store OneNote notebooks on your server now. That's part of what the PP1 beta is about, to test the KB946676 patch. Give it a try and see what happens. Smile
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:08 PM
  • There's a problem with OneNote 2007 at the moment that won't let you create a new notebook on a server under certain conditions.  I tried it on my WHS and it came up with the error described.  I haven't got Sharepoint on my server and from the MS Support page wondered if it was a pre-requisite if I wanted to maintain OneNote notebooks on my WHS, but I don't think so.  It should work just as a file server.

See the following links for more details, the second being more helpful than the first.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924137

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:51 AM
  • Thanks for the tip. I did encounter this bug, and I would have been banging my head against the wall for hours without your heads-up.

"We're working hard at it" & "We'll post a fix in a few months" seem like mutually exclusive ideas to me. I'm sure it's not the development team that's at fault; more likely an ossified bureaucracy that they have to fight their way through.

Anyway, I tried the workaround in the second link, and all seems to be well for now.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:25 PM
  •  Alpine Pursuits wrote:

Informations at 2nd link are working. The problems should be there only if you want to generate a new notebook. Just copy from local to WHS. Till now I do not encounter sync-problems via route WHS. And I did not get in trouble because of file corruption.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:16 AM
  •  

There are documents available on Connect that will guide you through various tests using Power Pack 1. These are designed to test and stress the new technologies included in Power Pack 1. This includes a section about using OneNote.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:37 PM
  • Al,
    I was not able to find a document with such a section. The "Feature Focus of the Week - PC Applications" mentions OneNote as being known to cause data loss, but I didn't see any test scenarios. Please provide a link to the document you are referring to.
    Thanks.

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:04 AM